Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
neighbors dumpster

Posted by victory_tea2085 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 21:14

This is not an appropriate topic for this forum but I could not find one that is. My next door neighbor has a dumpster 10 ft from our driveway, He has it emptied every 2 weeks. Well, it's been very hot here in NY and now there is a stench with flies that is unbearable. and it's not due to be emptied until 7 days. I have talked with him., I have talked to code enforcement- to no avail. i am at a loss as to how to protect my family from this mess. Any ideas? I am retired and have time to research but have not found an answer yet. Thanks- Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: neighbors dumpster

Curious.......What was the response from code enforcement?

o

i live in a very small town and no code covers my problem.

o

How about a large outdoor weatherproof fan pointed at it, blowing the stench and flies back onto his property?

o

It's election year here. I'd talked to someone wanting to be re-elected.

o

I have thought about the fan and may still do that- on the other hand, why should we have to waste money on our neighbors inconsiderateness. Paul

o

You shouldn't have to spend $ but it may be your only option short of a piece of dynamite into the bin (which might be satisfying, but a bigger mess. I just spent $100 on a scat mat to keep the neighbors' cat from clawing my new $900 custom screen door! After I saw her do it twice and the neighbor was unconcerned with their liability (I would have had to sue them to collect damages), I just bit the bullet and did it - not fair, but saved my sanity. And, as much as I'm a die hard cat lover, I felt some deep satisfaction when she stepped on it and got a small shock - I know she won't be back.

I wonder if you could sue for damages in small claims court for their nuisance and your inability to enjoy your property because of it? I would also call the health department and report that you've seen rats.

o

Perhaps you could research the cost of more frequent emptying and volunteer to pay it.

o

You could ask the dumpster company for suggestions on how to lessen the problem. Yours is probably not the only problem dumpster they have.

o

I don't get why they would have the expense of a dumpster unless they are remodeling. They pay for a huge dumpster for everyday household trash that most people can fit in one or two trash cans?

o

You can rent fans and I think that is a great idea. Blow it towards their home. People are strange. I had a neighbor that had a galvanized trash can in her kitchen, crazy. Most of us try to keep our trash hidden in the kitchen. LOL

o

We have garbage disposals in the house, and put very little garbage in the dumpster we share with out kids. Also almost goes into bags first and we spray during the hot part of the year. Some smell, but my SIL will wash it out if needed, right after it is dumped.

o

I keep my food scrapes in the freezer until the night before pick up.

o

You might try putting out a fly trap; the containers that draw flys in but do not let them out work great for us. There are various odor eater sprays that work amazingly well, are quite cheap, and last for quite a while. Fabreze is one that you might try; just be sure that you prefer the smell of the odor eater over the smell of the dumpster. If the dumpster smell bad even after it is emptied, it might just need to be washed; taking a hose to the interior and then putting in a box of baking soda on the surfaces after it dried might really help as well. Some dumpsters have probably not been washed for years, and things that smell often are also things that can stick to sides.
Renais

o

Is this just a cart or a dumpster that a truck brings in. If it is just a cart, not a lot you can do about it.

o

It's a dumpster and , finally after contacting the dumpster provider- they talked him into moving it!! Paul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here