SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doteroo

What Would You Do in This Situation?

doteroo
13 years ago

I retired from nursing a few years ago. Since that time I have separated from my husband. (we will definitely not be getting back together) I've moved to a new location and bought a small simple home. I have a new car that is paid for. My only expenses are groceries, utilities, car and house insurance and whatever else comes along. I just turned 65 so now I have to start paying for social security plus additional insurance. I receive a small SS check and I have enough in an IRA that I can't get any kind of goverment help. I might can make it but it's going to be close and I'd prefer going back to work in order to have a little more money. I let my nursing license expire because I was so burned out I knew I'd never want to work in nursing again. I would like to work in a school cafeteria, or maybe the dietary dept of a hospital or nursing home. I'm not sure if I can do the work do to minor aches and pains but I'm willing to give it a try and in fact I'm bored and need something to do. I've filled out a couple job applications but haven't heard back from either. Today I was looking at a web site of local school cafeteria workers and most of the women looked maybe in their 50s or early 60s. I started thinking "this is the age to quit jobs not start one" I guess I lost my nerve to even go looking again. Is anyone going to hire a 65 year old woman? Should I give it up and try to make do on what I have? I don't mind working but I don't want to look stupid out there at my age looking for a job.

Comments (7)

Sponsored