SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wrychoice1

Differences with spouse on where to live following retirement

wrychoice1
9 years ago

I have 6 weeks left until my last day of working in a profession I have practiced for 38 years. Not sure what I will do when the second week of September rolls around and I do not have to get up to go to the office. The initial plan was for my husband to work thorugh the end of the year, but as it gets closer to my last day, he is talking more and more like he will also give his notice. I was kind of looking to forward to having a few months on my own before he was retired, too. I was hoping to sort out for myself how I wanted to spend my time without feeling obligated to also consider what he might want. We are having a difficult time trying to figure out where we want to live in the next couple years and I fear we will simply remain where we are because we cannot resolve the differences between us with respect to where we would like to live in retirement. I was never fortunate enough to have children; he has 3 from a previous marriage and several grandchildren. Two of his children (and 3 grandchildren) live in the Pacific NW; another lives in a western state (along with his 4th grandchild). My siblings live in the SE, along with all my nieces and nephews with whom I am very close. My husband and I live in the midwest. I know he wants to move out west to be closer to his children and grandchildren. While I have a civil relationship with his adult children, it is not close by any means. At first, I was OK with the idea of moving west, thinking I could always come back home for extended visits...but as the retirement thing is moving ever closer, I am beginning to get concerned.

Anyone else confront something similar --- where you and your spouse have very different ideas about where to live following retirement?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals