Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
retirement in Morelia, Mexico

Posted by aandd (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 17, 10 at 12:26

My wife and I are interested in retiring to the Morelia area in Mexico. We would be on a fixed income of our social security. Are there any others out there that have done this or are thinking about it? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: retirement in Morelia, Mexico

Remember, your medicare will not work outside the US, and if you have any supplement insurance you pay first, they maybe it pays.
Also if you do not speak the language it will be more difficut. Would I do it- NO WAY!

o

I'd want to stay under the protection of the US Flag regardless of where it was in the USA IMHO

o

I had a Mexican friend and she said if you can't pass for Mexican you should not go, it's dangerous. I don't know for a fact, but I don't think you can't take anything with you when enter the country except your clothes and probably can't bring anything out if you want to move back, but am only guessing about the moving back part. From what I have read if they think you have committed a crime it's guilty until proven innocent. I don't know where you live but living is cheaper in the midwest, a lot cheaper than on either coast.

o

I agree with minnie and vala55. Mexico is dangerous and its getting worse! I like going for a cruise once in a while, but no way would I ever live down there full time!

o

If all you ever visit in Mexico is border towns, then it is dangerous...maybe as dangerous as, say, inner city Detroit. But if you are in the other 99% of the country, it's another story. I've been to at least a dozen different areas in Mexico -- including central Mexico where Morelia is located -- and generally have felt safer than walking the streets of many American cities. I also know a number of people who have retired to Mexico, or live half of the year there and half in the U.S., and I have never heard of any problems. All of my daughters have visited there numerous times, and, trust me, none of us ever worried about trying to "pass for Mexican." There are many large expatriate American communities throughout Mexico, and their numbers are increasing each year.

Bad stuff can happen wherever you live (like Tucson, or New York, or Columbine, or Virginia Tech), but broadly characterizing a country like Mexico as dangerous is a little excessive.

In answer to the original poster...just do a Google search for "Morelia, Mexico" plus "expatriate" or "U.S. community" for some information from people who live there or have other knowledge to offer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here