Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pension fund

Posted by adriean (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 23:11

I just heard recently that if you pass on you can leave your pension fund to your children if there is no spouse. Has anyone heard of this before.

Adriean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pension fund

Payments from some pension plans stop with the death of the person insured.

Some beneficiaries chose to have their pension benefit continue to their surviving spouse, sometimes the full amount, and sometimes at about 60% of the earlier rate.

A few may continue to dependent children, and possibly to other children, but I think that rather unusual ... how long would that go on? Through the entire lifetime of the offspring?

My private pension had a provision that, lacking a spouse, I could opt to have my pension continue to another specified beneficiary for a certain period (after I began to draw the pension?) or (after my death?): the former, I think. I wanted to specify my sister-in-law, whose husband died over 30 years ago, when their kids were in their teens ... but she would not agree.

I have two government-provided pensions, one of them contributory, in addition to that private one.

If you are a member of a private pension system, is it accessible by the employer?

Or is it carried by an outside carrier, where the employer can't get his hands on it?

Remember Enron? When they went broke, many employees suffered three life-upsetting events:
1. they lost their jobs, and many of them felt their company to be in good condition, until the end,
2. many had bought stock in Enron, as they believed it had a great future, and the value of their stock turned to dust, ... plus
3. Enron had pulled all of the assets from their pension plan, leaving it with no assets.

If your pension system is managed by the employer, try to get it carried by a third party ... so that your credits would survive a bankruptcy.

Good wishes for having an adequate pension fund.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here