Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone have two homes in retirement

Posted by okokok (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 18, 10 at 20:52

dh and i have been having trouble deciding where to live when we retire and we're considering having two homes one where he wants to live in nw arkansas (which was always the plan) and one where i think is best -texas gulf coast

the kids (both) are in texas as are most of our friends, the brothers and sisters in arkansas

cost of living doesn't appear to be much different in either place

we don't like the mosquitoes or the heat (for months on end)or the likelihood of hurricanes (cost of storm and flood insurance)
on the other hand, it can get pretty cold in northwest arkansas

on to the real question
what do you like/not like about having two homes??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone have two homes in retirement

we have two homes, one in Canada and the other one in Florida. We spend six months at each. I love the idea of leaving for Florida as soon as winter approaches and not having to face our bitterly cold winters. By the time we are ready to return to Canada, the weather is getting very hot in Florida and I am ready to see the kids and grandkids. We have more activities in Florida, but it is great to get home and become parents and grandparents again. And no, we don't miss the family. When we first started we would go home for Christmas and after a quick hello and goodbye everybody was off to their work and school. But they all come down at different times during the winter to visit us, so we see them then.

I used to hate pulling up my bedding plants in Oct., but now I know that I will soon be putting in new ones. It's a great life style and we love every minute of it. Give it a try.

o

Lots of midwest people do have two homes and do quite well. Especially from ND, Minn, MI etc. Many are in Mesa, Yuma, TX again depends on where friends/relatives are. But again, most of these places were bought years ago and now prices are up/down etc. And most in AZ are in established communities that they have bought into over the years. As people pass away, or have health issues, this option is decreasing and several of my friends are no longer able to make the trip back/forth.

o

Relatives are Canadian snowbirds. Summers they live in Calgary and winters in Scottsdale, AZ. As mariend points out, when driving becomes circumscribed and flying is too expensive/exhausting, the trip back and forth becomes too much and traveling slows or stops entirely.

They greatly enjoyed owning two homes, but have sold the AZ condo to one of their daughters. They hate being stuck in Calgary in the winter but the rest of the family is there and they can't afford to give up Canadian healthcare/pensions.

If you're young retirees there's little downside to having two homes outside of expense. But as you age, it's guaranteed that at some point you will have to decide where you want to live full-time.

o

My husband and I have two homes, one in nw Louisiana and the other on the Gulf in south Louisiana. We go back and forth between the two as we want. We enjoy the summer fishing activities at the Gulf and my husband also duck hunts there in the winter. We also enjoy our home in nw Louisiana where most of our family and friends live. If you build your coastal home according to codes now in place, you would have to sustain a direct hit from a hurricane to destroy it. You have to compare how much you enjoy the coastal living to the risks involved.

o

Yes I have two homes and I needed to get some help for my wife. With my help she can handle herself very fine when i am there, but i dare not leave here alone, so i contacted the website www.callseniorcare.com found someone to help as a Senior Caregivers while I am away and now I don't worry quite as much as before.

o

My husband and I have 2 homes, one in SW FL, the other in the mtns. of NC. We have lived in FL for 34 years, and bought the NC house about 11 years ago. When we were working (school teachers), we would spend a month or so every summer in NC. It was heaven and I always hated to leave it when school started again. I would count the weeks and months until I could return to NC. Three years ago we retired. For 3 years we have spent spring and fall in NC, winter in FL, and summer in FL (only because our son was home from college and wanted to be at the FL home). Initially, it was wonderful being able to experience the different seasons in NC. Lately, though, I've become discontent with "bouncing around" every few months. I always dreamed of returning to my love of gardening, esp. vegetables, once I retired. But I've discovered that we are never in one place long enough to have a harvest. I also find that I tend not to join any craft classes or other things in the community because I will not be in town to finish out the sessions. Recently my husband and I have been discussing where we want to "settle", and give up one of the homes. Once you own 2 homes, your heart will always be divided. I've come to the conclusion that it is best to have one home that you LOVE. You can always visit the other area, and rent or stay in a hotel. It is less expensive that way and WAY less responsibility. With 2 homes, you will always pine for something missed in the other location, whether something small like not getting to see your irises bloom because you are at the wrong house. Or you will miss out on that festival you've been to so many years in the other city. AND it is SO frustrating to find that the very tool or craft item or whatever that you need is in the OTHER HOUSE! It happens A LOT!!! Think long and hard about purchasing that second home. I hope my thoughts and experiences will help someone.

o

Jkom's story about the snowbirds who lived in Calgary in summer and Arizona in winter sounded quite appealing.

I've thought that it would be helpful if two people who each owned a home would be willing to share them by living in their home for a while, then each move to the other's home for a while.

Now ... if I could find someone willing to live in my home in Ontario, Canada in winter ...

... while I lived in their home in FL ... or AZ for several months ...

... that sounds like quite an attractive scenario: would provide each with a welcome change of scene, from time to time.

Know anyone who might be interested?

ole joyfuelled

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here