Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to retire?

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 07 at 13:24

I also posted this on the Kitchen Table forum:
If you're financially able to retire in your 50s as opposed to the traditional retirement ages (62, 65), would you do it? My DH is eligible to retire next year, when he's 55. I'll be 53. I have mixed feelings about it, and would like to hear from those who are already there

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to retire?

as soon as possible! myself if i had been able to retire at 25 i would have. as it is i will be able to at 55, 5 more years cant wait!

o

Not there yet, but I do know one needs a plan on what exactly they'll DO upon retirement. Assuming money isn't an issue, has your DH and you spoken about his plans? One can only golf so many hours in the day! (I'm sure golfers will disagree!!!)

I would not be too happy with that feeling that DH was under my feet in the kitchen looking bored all day or in front of TV. Have a talk about "next chapter, what now?" is something I'd suggest.

Nevertheless, congrats to him to have persevered as a younger fellow to reach this comfortable spot so soon! It's a good thing, if planned well, so as to be a REWARDing time for you both!

o

I will be retiring this Friday after 33 years with my company and I'm 57. My husband is retiring at the end of the year at 59. We decided to go ahead and do this because we're still healthy, can financially, have no grandkids to keep us occupied and plan on traveling, golfing, visiting our kids, and family members around the country, volunteering and just enjoying everyday we have. I still believe a boring day at home has got to be better than a day at work!

I can't tell you what it is like, but I anticipate it will like a perpetual vacation. I'll let you know in six months.

o

I can tell you... I retired at 55 after 30 plus years of working for an internationally known and well respected company. I loved working and all the perks, but never looked back after walking out the door for the last time. Absolutely no regrets. It was always my plan to retire at the first possible opportunity and had set financial goals to reach at certain periods in my life to make that possible.

It'll really dawn on you, upa lazy river, on Monday morning when your 33 year routine changes - can sleep in, no deadlines, all the work clothes can be put in the back of the closet... and congratulations!

A lot of my social circle did pretty much the same thing, all within the span of a couple of years... and that brought some change; relocations out of state, deaths, selling homes and moving to adult communities. We all found out pretty quickly that "things change". And I was the logical one in my family to relocate back to the family home to look after aging parents. And it was such a blessing having the time to do this, not juggling between many masters. Dad passed away a few years ago and Mom (Alzheimers) has been in long term care for 8 months now so this is sort of like my second retirement.

Having planned well, and having been lucky, I'm financially secure; have the long since paid for family home, zero debt. My time isn't too structured - I'm in the yard and gardens most of the day, take classes at the university, make the rounds of the farmers' markets, play cards in a little group, meet another group for coffee once a week. As time goes on, I'll find more and more of a niche and I am interested in doing some type of volunteering - but the beauty of the whole thing is that I really don't have to accomplish anything. For the first time in my life, I can actually set my own pace.

o

Duluth in bloom z4,

You ...are ... your ... own ... boss!

Ain't it nice?

And you've illuminated many facets of the situation, for those who may be considering it.

Thanks for doing what I feel to be a good job of that.

ole joyful

... thankful to be enjoying good health, physically, emotionally (I think), financially, socially and family-wise as I near 80

... with one major regret ... that my ex- chose to leave our relationship, over 35 years ago ... and passed away almost three years ago

o

How are you doing OJ? I forgot if you got another car or got the old one fixed.

o

duluth, I'm finally retired, am settling in well, but have found that I'm much more active during the day than I was when I was sitting behind the desk. There always is something to do. But I also see in the afternoon that a nap sounds good!

o

Minnie,

The '88 Mazda that cost $2,500. early this year ...

... cost over $3,000. to fix.

But my friend the body shop owner said that it makes more sense to fix it than the Taurus, last year.

The cost of repair is mostly for labour, only a small amount of materials, and that from the auto scrapyard.

Considering not only the amount of energy that it takes to mine and smelt the ore and build a car, plus the pollution and warming that using that energy produces, it seems a shame to scrap a car that, once repaired, will go for a substantial number of miles. With luck.

One of my personal contributions to making a small footprint on the earth by using less energy and producing less pollution and warming, I guess.

A worthy place to use some of the bucks that my frugality has produced, I figure.

And I came through the accident with a bit of skin about the size of a quarter scraped from my elbow (with the scab going about the time that I got the repaired car back).

I hope that the discomfort that the man driving the car that hit me felt just after the accident proves to have been superficial and temporary.

Given the circumstance ... one can be very thankful that there was not more damage or injury ... even possible death.

ole joyful

o

OJ sounds like you're doing ok. I have an old 88 Ford Tempo which I baby because I like it and it is paid for. I think I paid about the same and have spent twice that just keeping it alive. This year the mechanic changed out the A/C from that R12 freon stuff to the one you are supposed to use now. BUT The front blowers don't work too good and he wasn't able to find the parts. so I have some air coming outof the dashboard vents. I drive with the windows open when I can and use a cardboard fan as a diverter . remember those little window on the front that you could open and the air would flow in? I use the cardboard kind of like that. It is ok for me and since I don't have many passengers it works out. I mostly go places with DS in his well Air conditioned Jeep anyway!!

Glad to hear you are keeping on top of things

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here