Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally! Retirement in 25 days

Posted by Judith (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 7, 04 at 13:18

After three tries, I think this is really going to be IT! I am planning to retire on July 2nd, in just 25 days. I sold my vacant property in midApril and that was one thing that I had to do before I could retire. So, now it is just about set for July 2nd. I still have to pick a Medicare Supplemental insurance and a friend has recommended Health Spring, I had thought about United Health Care that AARP has. We had United Health Care at work as our group insurance the year before last and I was totally satisfied with it. Anyway, I didn't want to have a retirement party, I just wanted to leave quietly, but after 37 1/2 years of working at the same job, they said I had to have a small retirement party, so that is set to be in a couple of weeks. A long time friend from another department is also leaving and they are having a going away part for her on June 23rd. She isn't retireing but is relocating to where she wants to live when she retires in about 8 years. I plan to get a computer for my home so that I can keep in touch on the various forums. It will seem strange at first, I guess, after working non-stop for 47 years of my life, but I have lots to do at home and I know that will keep me busy. I have 17 acres, 4 horses, 10 cats and 3 dogs, so I will find enough to do with the yard work and the animals. It still seems somewhat unreal at the moment, but it is exciting too. Judith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally! Retirement in 25 days

Congratulations, Judith, I hope you enjoy every minute of your retirement and have many more years of good health. After 47 years, you certainly deserve it.

o

Judith, I just read your post about finally retiring and I am so very happy for you!!! I'm sure that selling your property was a big relief. Now, in a few days, you can start to relax and enjoy life.I hope that you will keep in touch after you retire. We'll look forward to hearing from you. Wishing you days filled with joy and sunshine. Bettye/AZ

o

Many happy, happy days in your retirement.

o

Judith, Congratulations, but it doesn't sound like you will be retiring!

I hope you have a wonderful next phase of life.

o

Thank you all for your replies and well wishes. I still doesn't seem real. It is only 3 weeks now and I am still very busy at work trying to get everything caught up. I have so much to do at home after I retire that I know I will be busy for a long time. I plan to get a computer for home so I can still keep in touch on the forums.

Judith

o

Get that computer right away so you can keep in touch. It is funny how quickly you feel like you never had anytime to go to work.
I'm happy for you that that property sold. It might feel strang not having a daily program re: work. but soon you'll have a regular schedule. Happiness is in store for you. I'm glad you didn't put it off any longer. Welcome Aboard.

o

Judith: Is your target date of July 2nd still on? Not that far away now. Shirley

o

Yes, my retirement date is still July 2. They had my retirement party at work yesterday afternoon. The table was beautifully set up with wonderful food and beautiful serving dishes. All the work was done by my co-workers, most of it being done by one women. My retirement gifts were: A framed picture of the main administration building at the university and the building I spent 34 of my working years in before moving to our present location, a gift card from Lowe's home improvement store and the best of all, a new computer with a printer. Also, one office gave me a very pretty metal planter with 3 different plants in it. I also received a book containing letters written by people that I have worked with over the years that contained their well wishes. All in all, it was a wonderful surprise.

As I finish up the work on my desk and the filing that still needs to be done, it is with mixed emotions. I am happy to be retirening, but I will miss the people that I have worked with for many years.

Thank all of you for your replies and well wishes. Judith

o

Judith:

Wow, that was some party. A computer and printer? I'd have much rather had that than the diamond bracelet I was given. Since I'm not going to work anymore and never was much of a social person, it sits in a drawer. Yes, it will be hard for you to leave the people you've been so close to all these years. I still keep in touch by email with a few. Especially with the person who took my place......she emails at least once a week with a 'how do I do this?'

Good luck and ENJOY this new phase of your life.

Shirley

o

Judith, just wanted to add my congratulations, too--I know you've been waiting a long time for this. Great gifts, too!

Isn't it great that July 4, 2004, will not only be Independence Day for the USA, but one of yours as well!!

o

Congratulations, Judith! We'll look forward to reading your posts more often now that you will have a computer at home.I am truly happy for you! Bettye/AZ

o

Judith!! Congratulations! I haven't been here in quite some time, but I remember you posting before that you couldn't wait to retire. Good for you! I wish you the best!
Lu

o

Thank you all so much for your well wishes. Today is the day, my last full day of work. I will need to come back to pick up my computer next Friday. One of the guys in the office is loading it with all the software that I will need and he is on vacation until the middle of next week. I will need to buy the software for Excel and Microsoft Word and my printer should be in by then.

Even though I have been looking forward to retirement for so long, I do feel just a tiny bit sad at leaving the job I have worked at for the past 37 1/2 years and the people that I have worked with for so many years. We have 4 newer people in the office that were hired in the past 4 years but there is one woman that I have worked with for the past 22 years and we have become close friends. I do plan to keep in touch with some of the people that I have become friends with in some of the other departments.

The poster that said it will be a double independence day for me hit it right on the head.

I will be back when my new computer is set up and I have gotten Internet service at my home.

Thanks again for your well wishes. Judith

o

Good Luck Judith...Can't wait to hear from you ...this is my husbands last week of work for his company. He has contracted to work a couple of months for another company but it's quittingtime for us too....

o

Let us know how everything is working out for you!!

o

Judith,

I am really pleased that you have retired. You've been looking forward to it for some time. Finally you have done it.

Now you'll have the days free to do as you please. And you will have lots to do.

Good wishes for many happy, healthy, prosperous years.

Gadgets,

What's the chance of getting your former employer to spring for some financial honorarium for you, regarding the ongoing guidance that you're giving to your replacement? Is that person supposed to have learned all of the stuff by now?

If you don't ask - you don't get.

If you ask ... and the answer is, "No!" ... you are no worse off than you are now.

Good wishes.

ole joyful

o

Congratulations, Judith!! Enjoy!
Lu

o

Judith, you've been retired about 2 months now and I haven't seent anything from you. I hope it's going great for you--but I wish you would post and let us know for sure! I haven't seen you here or at the Organizing the Home forum or at the Kitchen Table for a while--come back!!

o

Judith,

Coming up on three months.

How are things going?

You have lots to do.

I hope that you find some things in the community to build new friendships, keep you interested and active, etc.

Wouldn't want you, like some old farmers who retire to town and are somewhat lost, or like a fish out of water ...

... to turn up your toes after six months or so ...

... and die.

Or have you been in hibernation?

Give us a shout, please?

Let us revel in your retirement, with you.

joyful guy

o

Please do. I look back on these pages and wonder what has happened to eveyone. We haven't even heard about the Florida people. Keep in touch!!

o

Judith ...

Judith ...

... where are you?

Too busy to come to say, "Hi" and let us know how you're doing?

What are you doing in retirement?

Enjoying it?

Good wishes for good times and good friends - and enough to live on.

ole joyful

o

I know this is a very old thread, but I found it while doing a search for something unrelated and then read all the associated threads. So...I have to know what ever happened with Judith and her retirement! Judith, are you still around? I hope you are loving your freedom and getting to spend lots of quality time with your pets...just hoping for an update!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here