Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone considering retiring to Panama or Ecuador?

Posted by glenny56 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 29, 10 at 11:48

Hi! My husband and I are middle income and with the market today are very worried about retirement in 5-8 years. We are considering retiring to Panama or Ecuador to make our retirement dollars go further. I understand that these countries do not charge you taxes on income earned outside of their country and the cost of living is much less than here in the US. If you have moved to another country where your $ goes further and is it safe, I would love to talk with you about it!

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone considering retiring to Panama or Ecuador?

I don't normally post a personal link, but we have friends who just moved to Panama and are now applying for legal residency. Like you, they could not afford to retire in the US. The three important lessons are:

1) If you don't speak Spanish - LEARN! Prices get jacked up the moment you start speaking English. In our friends' case, she grew up in South American and speaks fluent Spanish. He's trying to learn as fast as he can.

2) Establish your banking connection well before moving. For tax reasons (the IRS goes after banks holding US funds) the process is laborious.

3) Be prepared to move around before deciding where to settle permanently. At the very least, plan to visit several times before making your move. This is a very important decision and you should absolutely not rush into it. Our friends have rented a number of houses to try different locations, and all have their pros & cons.

The mountains are cooler but a lot more remote. Our friends lost their Internet access two weeks ago to a lightning strike and haven't gotten it back yet. They tried the flatlands, but the weather was just too hot to stick it out for more than a few months.

Here is their blog. It's well done, and quite entertaining.

Here is a link that might be useful: Luisa's blog on moving to Panama

o

A question I would have,are you intending on living in a "American" compound/community or among the regular inhabitants. From friends have mentioned that civil unrest is common in many of the South and Central American countries. Panama does not have as much but the expenses in some of the communities are as high as here.

Some of the countries you must purchase outright any property. Check on requirements for living in the countries and do not rely only on real estate agents. HGTV makes it look easy but you will be considered a 'have' by the 'have nots'.

o

I have been to Columbia and several of the nearby islands, they are not safe in spite of what people tell you. Puerto Rico is an American colony or territory, and the guides there told me it was safe. It is not. I met the sister of a man who married a woman in San Juan. He set up his dental practice there and raised his children there. He carries a gun with him at all times. He has a gun in every room of his house. He has security doors on his dental office. His children came to the US for their education and won't move back. They beg their mom and dad to move to the states where it is safe. Some of the islands do have American compounds and it safe there, but I would feel like a prisoner.

o
Puerto Rico

"Puerto Rico is an American colony or territory, and the guides there told me it was safe. It is not."

I believe them. I have an uncle who lives here in a gated community. You pass a guard house to get in. Once the guard has checked your license to make sure its ok to let you in, you drive to your house where you have to open an electronic gate to get in the driveway. After that closes behind you, you get out of the car to open yet another (sliding) gate before you even get to the front door! I noticed that many houses (outside of the gated communities) had bars on the windows.

While I was there, we took a drive along the old scenic highway. On the way back we drove through an unfamiliar area where we saw men in uniforms standing on street corners holding rifles.

I would not feel comfortable living there either.

o

I've been thinking about retiring to Panama, I've been trying to make contact with someone who lives there and would be willing to email back and forth about the day to day in Panama

o

bob, please read the blog I linked in my first posting. Our friends live in Boquete, and this is the fourth city in Panama they have moved to.

Unlike other countries mentioned above, they feel very safe and have never felt the need to live in a gated community, although of course they are available in Panama if that's what you want. But there are some serious disadvantages to moving overseas, so you really need to have a long-term strategy and execute it in phases. Just jumping in increases the odds it will not be anything like what you think.

o

Thank you to everyone who responded to my "post"! I am still researching, but I believe we have now added Belize to our list! They speak English there and it might make it easier for us. We aren't against learning Spanish, it's just not as easy as it sounds when you aren't surrounded by it all the time. We feel that moving just for economic reasons isn't enough. We want to participate in the culture and community as well. I'll definitely check out the link provided and again thank you...!!

o

International Living (magazine and website) recently featured Uruguay as a retirement haven. You may wish to look into this - there's 3 or 4 articles in the series; one is linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Uruguay article

o

I seriously considered moving to one of the Caribbean Islands or somehwere is South America and did quite a bit of research. The thing that persuaded me not to pursue that dream was the lack of really good medical/hospital care.

o

Wife and I have thought about all of those, also even places like Bulgaria, we have looked everywhere.
When it comes right down to it we have decided to retire in OREGON LOL.
We can or at least could last time I checked buy a decent 2-3 bedroom 2 bath nice house near the river with 2 acres of land for right around $150,000 or less.
We are going to make it extremely efficient if it isn't already, possibly solar panels, small wind turbine.
have a good sized about 20'X30' greenhouse.
We will be paying less than we are now in mortgage in bills and actually will be making a bit more money in retirement especially once the annuities kick in.

plus Oregon is beautiful, nice people, mostly all are progressive democrats, large atheist/agnostic population so not surrounded by religious nuts.
No state tax.
Still reasonable prices on land and homes.

Every place we looked elsewhere were all being bombarded with gringos buying everything up quickly causing prices to skyrocket.
Just got tired of looking for Shangri La, it may exist somewhere but Oregon is looking real good to us.

o

One more thing to consider: Medicare does not extend beyond the borders of the US and it protectorates.

o

Doesn't much matter because most of the planet, at least anyplace you would really want to retire to has Universal Healthcare and has better medical care than we do here.

It would be a concern in only a few countries that your Medicare doesn't follow you.

o

I love Oregon but until recently anything under $200K was very small and to be honest a dump. Each year when I go I have been looking for something to have after my husband dies with no avail. One thing about Oregon though is the have both estate and inheritance taxes. I too am exFed but will need medical care as I age many areas of Oregon have little medical coverage and most will send you to larger cities. I do love that you do not have to pump your own gas and the pump people do not expect tips.

o

I have seen some rather nice houses around Bend for under $200,000, that is where we are planning to go.
They combined estate and inheritance tax, its all the same thing now and doesn't even affect you unless its over 1 Million dollars so not ever going to affect us.

Nice that they do not have State tax though.

But I do think that they tax retirement pay as income which sucks.

o

we're selling our home in vermont and traveling a bit before we settle down again. much as i love vermont is's quite an expensive place to live, and i have been wondering where else in the country i might find similar minded folks. sounds like oregon might be the place,so i'm real glad you posted.
i've also been researching latin america as a winter home, but for various reasons that's taking a back seat to the living in an rv idea.
it's good to have options though!

o

Yes Oregon is a nice state, totally Blue politically which means the state isn't out to screw you in every possibly way like most Red states.
Most in Oregon depending on the area are 1960s Californians so very laid back, nice.
It is the only state I have been in since the early 70s of which you still see several hitchhikers on the roadside thumbing, you will see a bunch of cars on the roadside in places which usually turns out to be a natural hotspring which if you hike a bit up the stream there will be a big group of people relaxing in a hot spring, many times skinny dipping.
The roads are well maintained, just an overall nice state.

o

Have you considered english speaking Belize? It used to be called British Honduras ? there are very nice homes for a good price , check around Orangewalk,and Progresso, on the internet I mean. They have photos etc.
Money sense magazine reported Belize to be one or the 6 best retirement Countries , oh yeah Equador was one of them too.
google Belize expat forums

o

Oregon is a lovely state, but they are not considered tax-friendly at all. In fact, they tie CA as one of the highest overall tax burdens on residents.

That said, one of my bosses had a favorite saying: "Don't let the tax tail wag the dog!"

Here is a link that might be useful: Kiplinger state-by-state interactive tax map

o

Does anyone have any updates on current rentals in Panama (Volcan, Santa Fe, Alto de Piedra areas - not Panama City)? Cost comparison websites don't provide info on regions other than the major cities. It seems Panama City is only 18% cheaper to live than VA so that's not much incentive to relocate, considering I've read that it is best to have American appliances shipped there, yet another hefty expense. Anyone have any inside info for current economic/living conditions? Thank you.

o

>>Anyone have any inside info for current economic/living conditions (in Panama)?>>>

I have to say that after watching our friends (husband & wife) spend two years moving to Costa Rica - they are now on their fifth rental, which they like best of all - I don't think there is any substitute for actually GOING there yourself.

You have to "take the plunge" and check it out to see if the pros/cons will work for you, or dissuade you entirely. That means in all seasons, in several different locations.

Good luck to you going forward!

o

Costa Rica has several climates. That hot and humid near the water. And, hot and humid in the jungle. And into the mountains where it is good.

Your friends in Costa Rica, where are they and why are they there?

o

>>Your friends in Costa Rica, where are they and why are they there?>>

They moved to Central America because the husband didn't have enough retirement $$$ after a divorce, to live on Social Security in the U.S. He'd come back in a heartbeat if he could afford to. His second wife speaks fluent Spanish, having grown up in South America.

He loves the relaxed lifestyle, but he comes back periodically to indulge in wargaming conventions (mostly in LA, which is easier/cheaper for him to reach) because there is no one he's met down there who shares the same interests as he has.

o

hi
I have a ?? along similar lines . Have been going to Costa Rica for many years . Have always rented but the place I love is being sold or absorbed into the park system.
it is the remains of an old coffee plantation surrounded by
a national park in the high altitude rainforest.
I'm thinking of buying if the price is right .
Don't intend to live there but keep it as a summer retreat has many drawbacks . Very remote .roads are dry season only, elec is unreliable but SW telephone and internet along with generator. has no heat,air in fact part has dirt floors MUST take a cab to get there day time only and often delayed due to rainfall, tremors.
Only food source is a hotel on the other side of the mountain. Another factor Wife hates "jungle" lol
many factors to consider obviously but wondered if anyone had advice on how to go about this??
have bought many houses but only in the US Thanks gary

o

I have been to the Peruvian jungles twice and really, really enjoyed it.................for about 5 days. That is the longest time I could live with the humidity, also very dangerous snakes. Our guides took very good care of us so the only snakes we saw was in the rafters of our lodge. They were small non poisonous. There are also tarantulas, termites with no control at least where I went. It is no place to be roughing it and that is what you will be doing. We have 2 poisonous snakes here in the states, in the rain forest all but 2 are poisonous. No way would I live there.

o

Hi
Costa Rica has 10 climate zones all tropical of course but ranging from near frost to near 90 year around
The house I'm interested in is on the Pacific tropical convergeance zone with very abrupt altitude changes ,the house is located at 9500 feet so temps are always below 80 often falling in to low 50's at night Often went there to escape the florida heat in summer that and I can rent for 150 bucks for a month lol the big thing is the rain around 300 inches and no dry season due to the atlantic current. always rains everyday BUT always sunny
during mid day.extreme mist in the morning makes traveling difficult . often impossible.
All that rain and mist produces a lot of greenery as well as lots of temporary waterfalls Due to the temp changes wildlife varies by the mile Snakes are limited to the valleys and insect life varies per 1000 feet as does plant life Most amazing is the birds. 780 confirmed species as well as prime habitat for the Resplenant Quetzal 95 species of Humming birds 300 of butterflies including the Morphos!! almost a thousand endemic specie of plants!!
i really wouldn't want to live in Costa Rica but if I did would chose the mid altitude mid pacific for many reasons Costa Rica has changed tremedously like every other place it's not near the bargain it used to be except for this place
The owner wants to sell but is difficult due to location
and I fear it will be absorbed into the surrounding park
Could never be a tourist trap due the accessibility it is the only private property on the entire mountain!!
Obviously if it sells will no longer be available to rent of for 10 time more lol Thanks gary

o

What if you buy it and the government steps in and takes it over for part of the park?? You could loose your money and please don't tell me they can't do that because they can. That happened to my Mom in mid America and can happen anywhere. My Mom was offered a third of what her home was worth, but had to guts to go before the city council and plead her case publicly. She got full price of what the house was worth.

o

Hi
When you think abouut it that's probably what should happen to the property lol It's a unique area within a unique area .It has only survived due to the difficulty getting there and the collapse of coffee in the 50;s and it will not support Banana ,tropical fruits .
Was just reading the results of a general Bio survey of
300 plants collected 12 were unknown to science !! It is also the only known habitat of all 5 big cats ,confirmed nesting of Quetzal as well as confirmed ID of Morpho rhetenor and is smack in the middle of the migratory route!!
Anyway is rather moot now as there have been 5 bids 40 percent above market value by several wildlife funds .
Guess I'll have to find another area?? Thanks for the thoughts gary

o

Good Luck to you in your search. How about Arkansas? Or the rainforest in the Cascades in Washington state???? LOL

o

hi
Funny story about that. When i planned a trip to Panama
The US invaded closing borders. planned a trip to Nicaraugua . civil war broke out border closed Wanted to
see Tikal in Guatamala border closed due to riots . Went to Belize and sneaked accross border .Bus was boarded by insurgents had to listen to long lecture on the glories of Communism lol In Spanish lol Wasn't harmed or really excessively delayed but that was one scary experience lol
None of that would probably happen in Arkansas or Washington but no high altitude rainforest at least tropical ones lol
Theres always Monte Verde., even higher but is MUCH smaller and far less diverse but wouldn't have to back pack ,There's always Disney?? lol gary

o

Don't just focus on the positives; any place can look like paradise when you do that. Look up negatives too. A lot of sites that tout places like Ecuador have a vested interest in getting you and your dollars to go there. My father was interested in retiring there until he dug deeper... Ecuador has a crime rate higher than even New York City, not to mention a hot humid environment which allows for a great deal of flying biting insect pests. Then there's things like earthquakes, volcanoes, tropical storms, etc depending on which regions you're moving to. And as others have mentioned, there's plenty of civil unrest in South America.

And absolutely, positively look up what rights you will have. Columbia, aside from the obvious drug and turf wars, was ranked as one of the worst for human rights iirc. (Here's an article that gave me chills: http://www.hrw.org/news/2014/05/13/dispatches-victory-colombia-s-sexual-violence-victims ) I know there's several countries that have absolute bans on abortion, eg Nicaragua, even in cases of rape or life-threatening situations, or they may arbitrarily deny a live-saving procedure anyway, as in http://news.msn.com/world/baby-of-ill-salvadoran-woman-denied-abortion-dies . I know some Latin American countries are slow in legalizing same-sex marriage as well., or you may have a hard time finding birth control in some places.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here