SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Adding a shower stall or not?

dedtired
13 years ago

I am about to renovate my only full bath. I also have a powder room on the first floor.

My original plan was to have a tub and separate shower stall, but it got to be too expensive to do that. I currently have a shower/bath combo and now plan to keep that arrangement, although totally new and updated.

I hope to stay in this house through my retirement years. Right now stepping over the side of the tub to get in and out is not a problem. Will I regret not adding a shower stall in the future, presuming I have just the usual creaky joints of advancing age?

Adding the shower stall is nearly another $15,000 since it requires expanding the size of the bathroom into an adjoining hall. The house really needs to have a bathtub for resale some day. I almost always take showers.

My neighbor has had two knees replaced and says that getting into the tub doesn't present a problem for her. My 93 year old Mom says I'll be sorry if I don't add the shower stall and also grab bars. I'm 63 now.

What do you think? Should I bust the budget and add the shower stall? If I don't, will I regret it some day?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kitchen & Bath Shop - Alexandria
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Alexandria's Leading Expert in Kitchen, Bath & Basement Remodels