Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
resume for retired teacher/coach?

Posted by chery2 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 2, 06 at 10:30

DH is retiring from teaching/coaching in public schools after 30+ years. He wants to work part-time in a job with other adults and needs some help putting together a strong resume. I searched the "Monster" website but need something more. Can anyone recommend a free website that will help? TIA, chery2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: resume for retired teacher/coach?

How about a free class at your local Worksource office? They are usually offered on a weekly basis where I live. In fact they have all sorts of classes for job seekers.

I have to admit that I didn't find the classes terribly useful except that there were tricks to changing a resume to plain text for those employers who would only take a resume in that form.

I was riffed from a job in environmental education and despite a really spiffed out resume, I only got 5 interviews from over 200 applications. I don't think that the resume is the key. In today's world, nearly anybody can have a great looking resume put together for them. I think that contacts, contacts, contacts is still #1 in connecting to a job.

Read "Bait and Switch". If nothing else, it will convince you not to spend any money on resume writing or interview skills. It will also give you an idea how hard it is for a 50 something to get a job.

I know that sounds pretty bleak and I am sorry for that. I hope it isn't like that for your husband. The fact is though that age will almost certainly count against him.

o

Read "What Color is My Parachute?"; a classic in writing resumes. You can probably get a copy from your library or through inter-library loan.

o

In our area, the government agencies that deal with paying employment insurance to unemployed people offer quite a lot of help with searching for positions.

Also, there is quite a substantial amount of a variety of services in that field offered by the library.

I haven't used any of them, or heard first-hand info from those who have.

Sorry.

I agree with the idea of letting everyone that he knows have an idea of what he's interested in doing, and seeking to build a larger network, as well.

I suggested some time ago that people write down the names of everyone that they've ever had dealings with, name, phone, email, plus what their training, skills, interests and other circumstances about them may be.

I wrote a thread about it on Household Finance, about last Christmas - don't know if it's still around, or has fallen into the abyss.

Best on computer, for ease of editing.

Contact all of them that you can find.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here