Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Living like a king on pennies

Posted by d0ug (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 07 at 8:21

I retired from Canada when I was 53 after sailing the Caribbean for 6 years I stopped in the Dominican Republic. Where I found a place that I can grow all the food and flowers for my needs. Having built a house with pool on a pension so small that in Canada I would have to find work to survive. I have found my paradise.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Living like a king on pennies

I heard Costa Rica is very pleasant. Lots of beaches, friendly people, and they LIKE Americans.

o
On pennies

One of my relatives retired to the Philippines. She has a cook, a maid, even a laundress. And a gorgeous paid-for house. She did it on a single woman's salary.

o

How capable are the services should you get sick?

Skill of the practitioners?

Prices?

Is insurance available?

What to do with your body when you cash in your chips?

ole joyful

o

I can only speak from my experiences. The hospitals are not state of the art but the clinics are up to date. Here are two experiences that I have had. I had a motorcycle accident on a gravel road the local people picked me up and took me to the hospital where the doctor and nurses worked on cleaning the wounds and stitching me up. They where very gentle and courteous. When I left they was no charge and gave me prescriptions for the drug store. One other time my wife visited the doctor in the clinic and was informed that she needed an operation. The doctor setup the total operation needing two other doctors and an operating room all the equipment. The operation was done the same day and 8 hours later we went home. This was not an emergency.

I have found very helpful doctors that even give you there cell phone numbers to call them whenever. I have no problems with their skill level, as I have not stumped them yet with any problem. The doctors seem very friendly and considerate.
Prices; for a visit to the local hospital and see the doctor its free. To go to a clinic and see a doctor 500 peso (US$15) with insurance 200 peso.

Insurance; for my wife and I pay 1600 peso [little more that US $ 530] for a year.

I plan on being put to rest here. I marring a Dominican and starting a family.

o

I now have a beautiful 5 month old baby girl. It just keeps getting better.

o

Good for you. I was just in Puntarenas, Costa Rica. We visited 8 countries on my Panama Canal Cruise and about half of the coastal countries had Americans living there. I was in Vancouver, BC last year and loved it, but alas if I lived there I would be a pauper. Personally after I am gone/dead, I don't care when my body goes. LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here