Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does it feel odd at first????

Posted by Lulie___Wayne (My Page) on
Sat, May 25, 02 at 22:52

Friday was my last day to work as a teacher. I found myself lingering around the school, sitting at my desk, playing with the compter, looking through my filing cabinets at the things that I treasure that I am leaving to the girl that is taking my place. Thank God she was a good friend of my daughter's before she was killed.
Anyway, I feel so odd. Everyone expects me to be ecstatic, but I can't say that I am. My husband, especially, wants me to be so happy, but for some reason, I just feel kind of odd and I can't really put my finger on what it is. Maybe it is too soon. My husband and I have so many plans, and I do look forward to that and many other things, but I hope I don't miss my job. Can anyone relate to this??? What in the world is wrong with me??????
Thanks, Lu in LA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does it feel odd at first????

Nothing wrong...nothing at all. You are leaving an old friend for the very last time. No matter what the future may hold, you will miss teaching, with it's good and bad, just as much as you would miss someone who moved away. You have invested a lot in the relationship.

Now, if you hated your job, and dreaded going to work each day, I suspect you would feel differently. You would not miss it at all.

Good Luck and enjoy yourselves.

o

Thanks Aileen for the wise response. I think that you are absoultely correct. Today I have been feeling much better, and I am sure as the time goes by, I probably won't even want to go back except for short visits. My workplace is only 3 minutes from my house, so I can run in now and then to visit the friends that I have grown to love.... without having to watch the clock!!! :)

o

It's a major change. Something that has been so familiar is suddenly over. You will be replaced. It takes some adjustment. I have been looking forward to retirement and in some ways can hardly wait until I can retire, but, I was thinking just this past weekend that eventhough I hate the long commute to work and the traffic and hate having to get up at 4:00 AM to get ready for work, it still will be strange and I know I will have some pangs of loss. It's only natural to feel a little down when a big change takes place in our lives. We are creatures of habit and a new situation can be just a little bit frightening at first. By now you are probably feeling much better. By the way, I visited you daughter's web site. It is beautiful as she was beautiful and it is a lovely tribute to her. Judith

o

Judith,
Thankyou so much for taking the time to visit Christin's website. I have been wanting to get in there and change pictures for two years now and just haven't had the time. We have so many of them that I think that she would like for people to see.
Also, thank you for the encouraging words about retirement. I was really starting to think that maybe I really don't want to retire and that I was doing it for others who want me to. Yes, you are right. It has been 3 whole days and I am already fogetting about the place. HA!
Didn't take long. I feel like a bird out of a cage. It really is kinda strange, though, to feel that I have an indefinite limit of time to do all of what I want to do. Being that I am accustomed to being off during the summer, I usually had a million things that I wanted to do in 10 weeks time, but now, I know I don't have to rush or start feeling panicky when August rolls around. WHEW !!
I hope that when you feel the time is right for you to retire, that you can enjoy it to the fullest and oh yes, how wonderful for you not to have to get up at 4:00 anymore. I don't think that I could do it, especially, all year long. I guess I have gotten pretty spoiled with my work being so close and having one stop light (just in the last couple of years) and being able to get up 15 minutes before I had to be there.
Hopefully, we can chat some more here.
Lu from LA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here