Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Social Security question

Posted by carrie630 (My Page) on
Fri, May 27, 11 at 21:22

I think I know the answer but want to double check:

If my mother receives let's say $500.00 per month social security and father receives $800.00 (made up amounts, not sure what they get)... If he died first, would she get his $800.00? Thanks -

Somehow, I remember someone telling me that if your spouse had been receiving more than you and died, you would get his - but of course, not in combination with yours. Is that right?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Social Security question

No. The spousal benefit is 50% only.

SocSec will allow you the choice of your own benefit OR the spousal benefit, whichever is greater.

o

Thanks

o

Carrie

The spousal benefit of 50% mentioned above is not the same as the survivor's benefit.

Widows or widowers who have rearched full retirement age are normally entitled to 100% of the deceased spouse's benefit if it's greater than their own, but they cannot also collect their own.

If your father were to die first, your mother would be entitled to his $800/month (assuming she's of full retirment age), but she could not also receive her own $500. Were she to die first, your father would continue to receive his $800/month because it's greater than the benefit of his deceased wife.

o

Excellent clarification, feedingfrenzy!

o

1. Let say father receive 2K/month starts at his 65.
2. Mother receive $400/month starts at her 62.
3. When mother reaches 65 she will receive 50% of his = 1K/month
4. Later on, after he dies, she will receive 2K/month

Am i correct ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here