Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will my retirement benefits go down?

Posted by heidiho (My Page) on
Tue, May 17, 11 at 20:58

Two years ago my husband and I took early retirement. I was 64 and he was 62. I receive my retirement benefits plus partial of his. When he turns 65 next year will they take away the partial payment of his retirement away from me?
Thanks for your time and have a nice day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will my retirement benefits go down?

It's impossible for anyone to answer your question. The appropriate contact would be whoever administers your husband's retirement benefit, presumably the company HR dept. or pension fund administrators.

It almost sounds as if you are talking about the spousal SocSec benefit, but that can't be accurate because SocSec wouldn't pay you a spousal benefit AND your own SocSec benefit - it's one or the other, but I don't think you can collect both.

o

This is not true, When you file to collect if it is before full retirement age you will collect your own or a portion, less than 50% if you are not FRA, of his or a combination if your own is less than the percentage of his then they will pay you your own first plus enough of his to make up the difference.
However if he started collecting early at 62 that will permanently reduce the amount you will get as well.
But the answer to the OP's question is no your payment will not be reduced.

o

If you're confused, go to any Social Security office (or call for an appointment at 1 800 772 1213) and ask the representative to explain the calculations. I worked for Social Security for 31 years and never saw a benefit check "go down" because there are only increases after benefits start getting paid. 1. If you continue working (even part-time) and paying SS retirement taxes, every year you get an automatic "recalculation" to see if it's a "high year" that will raise your checks and 2. There are Cost of Living raises every January , though our Congress has not granted one in at least the last couple of years. These COLAS are supposed to account for inflation. And don't get me started on "there's no inflation". Oh, one more thing, your check will go down roughly $100 at age 65 for the Medicare Part B premium. But definitely take Medicare A and B. Even if you're in perfect health. You can "delay" taking Medicare B if you or your spouse are working and have equal or better Health INsurance thru your or spouse's job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here