Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Comfortable Mattress

Posted by Lulie___Wayne (My Page) on
Sat, May 18, 02 at 16:31

My husband and I both have back problems from time to time and will be buying a new mattress soon. Can anyone recommend a good, comfortable, yet firm mattress that maybe can help with the back problems? We have a king size bed, yet he is always on my side right next to me. We think that maybe his weight which causes the mattress to dip next to me, could be straining my back. We feel that maybe we need something more firm so that this problem could be solved without compromising us sleeping close to each other.
Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Comfortable Mattress

Have you thought of putting a board under the mattress?
I got one of those folding things you buy to put under the couch cushions to firm them up. I put it under a comforter on the bed and then a sheet etc over it. It helped a lot. What really helped in getting a good nights sleep was the Neck Pillow I got last week at Walmart for $5.00. It was on the aisle where they have the Seen on Tv things. It is a thick half ring with a removeable washable cover. I can put that around my neck and sleep almost anywhere now.

o

If you're going to buy a new mattress, don't skimp on the quality. I have a bad back & I have a very firm mattress with a pillow top. Before this one I had an extremely firm mattress without the pillow top & it nearly killed me.

Also make sure you turn your mattress frequently.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. We will be off to shop for a mattress soon. Wish us luck! I will retire in just a few short days, and then I can enjoy sleeping as late as I want on a wonderfully, comfortable mattress and hopefully, neither of us will have to get up with a backache. :))))

o

I like my bed. It is a kingsized waterbed frame and we put a box spring on it with a king sized mattress on top. It is nice and firm and I don't wake up at night with a jiggelie bed when my husband gets up and down during the night. Also it is easy to get in and out of because it is high. I use a king sized bedspread and added a dust ruffle. Makes it look nice and hides the drawers underneath where I keep my sheets, etc.

o

What about a Select Comfort air mattress -- anybody tried those?

o

I tried them one time. I did not like them. Some people do.
We have a Tempurpedic adjustable bed. We like it.
Betty in Florida

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here