Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stuck with Florida Home

Posted by mab222 (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 15:20

We have been trying to sell our house in Florida for several months in order to retire in North Carolina, where we own a second home. Everyone knows too well about the Florida real estate market. The FL house is priced well for the market (far lower than its value was two years ago) and we are not willing to sell it below market value. But we need to clear a certain amount from the sale of the house in order to pay off the NC home to be able to live on a reduced income in retirement. We are thinking about renting the FL home, but don't want the hassles of renters.

So I guess we are stuck here for awhile. Florida is not a BAD place to live, but we are heading into a brutal summertime heat, humidity, and hurricane timeframe. We've got Carolina on our minds!

I know lots of folks are losing their homes to foreclosures and short sales here, and we are lucky to be in a safe economic situation with healthy equity, great credit, and good recession-proof jobs.

Is there an end to this real estate mess anytime soon?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stuck with Florida Home

It will probably take 1 year,at least. But you never know when a buyer will come around the corner. Keep the house up for sale---keep it looking pretty. People make different decisions every day, as their situations change, and your house may fit right in with their plans. There's an old saying about success----those who succeed do so because they stay as long as they need to win. So hang in there, stay flexible, and don't give up.

o

Where is your house in Florida? I will be looking for one in Sept.

Place your ad on Craigslist.org - lots of people on Craigslist!!!

o

DS has had good luck renting out his second home in Florida. The realtor takes care of everything.

o

From what I read, housing has declined 15% off its highs in mid-2006 and has another 10% decline ahead. There's a five year supply of homes in some parts of Florida (and some other former 'boom' areas). Best guess is *maybe* by the end of 2009 things will begin to even out.

You can reduce your price and get ahead of the additional 10% drop or wait it out for two years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here