Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about stock

Posted by bettyst (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 18, 06 at 19:49

Three years ago my FIL passed away. He did not have a will instead had his son(my husband) and daughter(sister-in-law) listed as joint tendents on all his stock. My husband has tried many times to get his sister to sign papers to remove his dad's name from all the stock...even the lawyer talked to her but she will not do so. He has not spoken to his sister since his father's death. I am worried that the IRS is going to fine both of them for not removing his name and the dividens are paid back into the stock to buy more stock. BUT it is taxable income...see why I am worried!

ANY ideas what to do...it takes both of them to sign to remove his dad's name.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about stock

I'm surprised that the attorney hasn't made any headway. Your SIL should receive a very strongly worded letter that a court action will be necessary if she doesn't comply and that the attorney will ask for and probably be awarded your court costs.

My other thought is that she is perhaps unstable and it is an emotional problem. Is she in denial over the death of her father?

o

Did your husband and his sister get along well before this cloud appeared on the horizon?

Does she have some stated reasons for being unwilling?

But then - you wouldn't know, if they haven't talked.

How can joint executors deal with an estate if they aren't talking?

Does she fear that your husband may be about to skin her?

Alive?

Is there someone familiar with such issues, who knows them both and whom she trusts, who could talk to her?

Such as a priest, rabbi or other clergyperson?

Family doctor, etc.?

I hope that you can find your way out of this dilemma without too much damage.

And without hurt feelings, or long-term anger or resentment, not speaking, etc., along the way.

ole joyful

o

ole joyful

I didn't check today but the KT is worried about you!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here