Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help with Medicare

Posted by yesican (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 15:15

I'm in Georgia and will start Medicare June 1. I don't understand it all and I need someone I can sit down with in person and talk to. Is there a certain agency or someone who will help me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help with Medicare

Try your local Social Security office.

However you also need to look at what you want to have covered. Hubby is under original Medicare because I was a government employee before I retired and I kept the government health insurance. My HMO covers our medicenes without the doughnut some companies had but unlike some of the other non-governmental HMO policies by the same company he does not have his YMCA dues covered by my policy. Some cover medicenes others do not. You should be receiving all kinds of information from insurance companies to review.

It is very confusing but start with the SS office for inital information. Then make a list of what you need and another for your wants.

o

If you have a Council on Aging, or a good Senior Citizens Center they have people who can help you and/or get information so you can learn more.

o

Go to your Senior citizen or "Y" or stop by your city hall.You would be surprised how many people are waiting to help you.If there is a sociel security building near by try that too.

o

There is a lot of talk about Medicare Supplements these days.Some of the Medicare Supplements, often called Medigap, cover different things. In addition, Medicare Advantage covers a number of things that are not covered by basic plans.Medigap is an insurance that covers the gaps left by Medicare. And although Medigap is a private coverage insurance, it is highly regulated by both federal and state government, and for this reason it is affordable by many seniors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Medigap plans

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here