SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Sharing a home makes sense

joyfulguy
21 years ago

As I've dealt with a number of seniors over a number of years, I find that many have a great reluctance to leave their own home to enter a retirement home.

Partly reluctance to change, to give up many of one's cherished possessions, etc.

Also reluctance to lose independence - to have one's life regimented by the routine of the institution, I think.

For a number, it's the high cost, as well, I think.

I've often suggested that a number of seniors who are bordering on a situation where it's becoming too much for them to keep their home in shape, or have a disability, etc. that they consider having two or four, five or six share a household. Three wouldn't work - two would join forces and third would be out of the loop. Bad news.

There are a number of reasons to recommend such a plan. Household chores could be shared. Less regimentation: get up when you feel like it. If you want to spend the whole night on the computer, it doesn't mess up the system. Eat what you like, when you like. They would have better nutrition: not just "a cup of tea and a sandwich". Intellectual stimulation. Possibly more physical activity. More likely to go out together to share in community and seniors' activities. Alleviation of loneliness. Another person to notice deterioration of health, encourage seeking medical care, alerting other family members, etc. Someone on hand in case of falling, medical emergency, etc. to provide assistance and call for help. Much less costly than living in a retirement facility.

It would need to be a home that's new to all, for if it was the former home of one of the participants, it would be hard for that person to allow living standards to change by democratic vote, concensus, etc. - s/he'd think that s/he should be boss.

Everyone says that it won't work - that people are too independent, set in their ways.

If someone moves a piece of furniture more than a couple of inches - there'd be a fight.

I've shared living space with others on a number of occasions and periods in my life, so have learned the necessary give and take of shared living.

It seems to me a shame that hardly anyone is interested.

Your comments, please.

joyful guy/Ed

Comments (12)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus