Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Traveling to Alaska

Posted by Mamatoad (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 13, 02 at 0:17

Have any of you been to Alaska or do you live in Alaska? We would like to plan a trip but have no idea when or where we should go. Your input will be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Traveling to Alaska

I took a ten day inside passage cruise to Alaska several years ago. We departed from Vancouver and visited Victoria, B. C. (a must see if you're there is Butchart Gardens). Stops in Alaska were Sitka, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and some place I can't remember. (Sorry having a mental pause) I've traveled quite a bit in the USA and Europe but the only way to describe Alaska is "majestic". It is the most beautiful country that I have ever seen. The cruise I took was in August since I was told that July and August are the best months to visit. Although there are day trips from port offered (I did a few), I think I enjoyed the walking tours of the cities more. I think the ten day cruise was a bit much for me (7 days would have been fine) and if I were to do the trip again, I would would arrange a trip with land and sea travel so that I could see even more of the country. Also, Vancouver is one of my favorite city's and I would spend a couple of days there either before or after the trip. One of our most stunning and awesome days at sea was when we visited at Hubbard Glacier. It was beautiful. It really was a trip to remember.

I can't think of anything that would disappoint you in Alaska. In fact, DH and I are thinking of making a trip later this summer.

o

Thanks for the information! We'll have to start planning our trip soon. Bettye/AZ

o

Manatoad, My husband and I have been there four times now he is going back this July to fish. We went in December, September and July/August. We fly into Anchorage then Soldotna and rent a car. Our visits include Talkeentna, Denali, Fairbanks, tok, Glennallen, Valdez, Seward and Homer. If you have any questions please feel free to ask:-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here