Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Retiring to Holiday Inn

Posted by minnie_tx (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 29, 10 at 22:48

Someone sent this to me it is kind of like retiring to a cruise ship for your enjoyment!!!

With the average cost for a Nursing Home reaching $188.00 per day, there is a better way to spend our savings, when we get old & feeble. I have already checked on reservations at the Holiday Inn for a combined long term stay discount and a senior discount. It comes to only $49.23 per night.

That leaves $138.77 a day for:

1. Breakfast, lunch and dinner in any restaurant I want, or room service.

2. Laundry, gratuities and special TV movies. Plus, they provide a swimming pool, a workout room, a lounge, washer, dryer,etc. Most have free toothpaste and razors, and all have free shampoo and soap.

3. They treat you like a customer, not a patient. $5 worth of tips a day will have the entire staff scrambling to help you.

4. There is city Bus stop out front, and seniors ride free. The Handicap bus will also pick you up (if you fake a decent limp).

5. To meet other nice people, call a Church bus on Sundays. For a change of scenery, take the Airport shuttle Bus and eat at one of the nice restaurants there. While you're at the airport, fly somewhere. Otherwise the cash keeps building up.

6. It takes months to get into decent nursing homes. Holiday Inn will take your reservation today. And, you are not stuck in one place forever, you can move from Inn to Inn, or even from city to city. Want to see Hawaii? They have a Holiday Inn there too.

7. TV broken? Light bulbs need changing? Need a mattress replaced? No problem. They fix everything, and apologize for the inconvenience.

8. The Inn has a night security person and daily room service. The maid checks to see if you are OK. If not, they will call the undertaker or an ambulance. If you fall and break a hip, Medicare will pay for the hip, and Holiday Inn will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life.

9. And no worries about visits from family. They will always be glad to find you, and will probably check in for a few days mini-vacation. The grandkids can use the pool.

What more can you ask for?

Somewhere in my files I have the How to retire to/on a cruise ship

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Retiring to Holiday Inn

Hmmm, sounds good, but on a more serious level, I think it works only if you really don't need any medical assistance, which is the only reason you'd go into a nursing home anyway. Now, maybe going into a hotel would be cheaper than independent senior living, that's possible although not here where hotels tend to be extremely expensive, even long term stay places.

But anyone with serious physical or mental disabilities would probably not find it possibly to stay long-term in a hotel. Liability insurance issues would compel them to evict anyone who demonstrates being a provable danger to the well-being of other guests!

Cruise ships run $100-$150/daily. It's a lot of fun, but these days a lot of those freebie extras now will cost you $$. Even bottled water costs extra now.

I prefer our LTC policies. At $260/mo for the two of us, it's cheaper to pay that and know we can have home healthcare services when needed, as well as a generous daily benefit at licensed care facilities for an unlimited period. Much more practical, and peace of mind to stay in our own home as long as we want.

o
RE: Retiring to Holiday Inn

Holiday Inn's are not my favorite but for people looking to test out an area renting a room at one of the suite's hotels for a month or two could be just the thing to see if you like an area.

FYI most long term rents do not come with every day cleaning and straightening. Even Motel 6 will rent you a room for a long time. You must ask for the long term rate at most hotels to receive it. Some hotels in big cities actually have separate floors for long term rentals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here