Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
disabled husbands benefits cancelled

Posted by MarciaBanner (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 03 at 16:46

In Sept.1998 my husband suffered a massive stroke while driving home from work. He had been with the same company for 30 years. In Aug.2001 his company was sold to another Corp. In Nov.2003 this corp.(that had bought his Company)filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy.
On Fri. March l4, 2003 we received a letter saying his benefits would be cancelled as of March 17, 2003.
I don't know how we are going to pay for his meds. I can only work some (part-time which doesn't offer benefits) as his condition requires almost constant monitering. Cobra will cost almost $700.00 a month which is out of the question since all we have to live on is his disability and the little I make working part time. Does anyone know of any assistance we may be able to get. We are both 52.
Marcia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: disabled husbands benefits cancelled

I believe you need to contact SSI, you said you get disability benefits, and inform them of your reduced income. They will be able to advise you how to apply for Medicaid. At least in my state that's the procedure.
You Department of Social Services may also be of help.
I wish you the best possible outcome to your situation - it's a tough one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here