Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Importance of nearby medical centers

Posted by Linda_in_CA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 5, 02 at 14:57

I have an older friend who relocated after 10 years of retirement. She and her DH were on the Oregon coast with no medical centers nearby. After her DH died she moved to Medford where she has access to quality medical care. She keeps stressing to me the importance of retiring near a medical center which is why I am chosing Boise, ID as my retirement home.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Importance of nearby medical centers

Besides medical care, which is important to check out what type etc, I feel transportation to stores, churches etc are important also. You cannot depend on friends all the time. Many communities have excellent Senior Citizens Centers with special busses, field trips, busses to grocery stores. I know Minot ND is that way. Boise is great also, but has some interesting weather. Lots of electic storms and snow in the winter. Nice craft shops and good stores. Don't know about public transportation.
Marie

o

Good point, Marie. I'm alone so I have to take transportation & health care facilities into effect even though I've always been lucky to have good health. Who knows what's in the future?

o

It's a very good thing to look into especially if one of you is in poor health. There are retirement books that rate places to live and medical centers are one of the things rated.

We are very lucky as they opened a 55 yrs and older doctor's office 2 min. from us. We like both doctors that are in it and that sometimes is rare.

o
???Importance of nearby medical centers

They actually have doctors who specialize in 55 & up??? I've been down here too long. . .

o

Yes, Ginger.....sometimes they call them geriatric doctors but the dictionary says...Geriatrics is the science of diseases and care of the old.....and I DON'T consider people 55 years to be OLD. So I don't call the doctors that and they don't either. :~)

o

I think nearby medical facilities/physicians are very important in our retirement decision. We live in an area with excellent and well known facilities and many of them specialize in the 55 and over age group.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here