Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Retirement -- becoming landlord

Posted by kkny (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 08 at 13:49

Hi

I am thinking about purchasing a small cottage community for when I retire. For what my house is worth (Suburban NYC)- I can buy a samll cottage community in Florida near a beach.

I dont want to go the B & B route, as too little privacy. Does anyone have any thoughts??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Retirement -- becoming landlord

Would you be the hands-on manager or would you have it day-to-day operated by property management? Because there's a world of difference!

o

No, I am looking at stuff small enough that I would have to be hands on person. Would hire out licensed electrician and plumber, as necessary, but would do painting and carpentry, any gardening, my self. Have one friend with small motel near beach up north, he and his wife redo 4 rooms every winter. He also has 3 night minimimum in season, cuts down on maid service. I think I would go with week minimum, and accept might make less money, but less agravation.

o

Well, it would certainly keep you busy in your retirement. But what if you wanted to go away for a vacation or something? How would that work? Is your friend making good money?

o

They make enough and have a pleasant lifestyle. They, like most of these places, close during the offseason.

o

Befoe committing to this, I would check with a savvy accountant who knows the local scene and help you figure out the financial feasability. (You will also need to familiarize yourself with local regulations and codes to make sure you are in compliance.) In other words, can you make money and besides, how much, and will that be enough compensation to make it worthwhile for you. ALSO, I remember reading some time ago when I contemplated something similar until my dear wife said no, that landlords can expect to be sued sooner or later. So make sure you have plenty of liability coverage.

I wish you luck and lots of fun in retirement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here