SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debo_2006

Health insurance for seniors

debo_2006
11 years ago

My 77 YO mother has a COBRA health insurance plan from when her DH passed many years ago from the steamfitter's union. Her month payment is going up to $545 per month. Apparently, she wants to keep this insurance because it covers everything and it's easy. She never has to pay a single penny for anything so she says.

She is a BC survior, has controllable lukemia, back issues which she does nothing about, a pacemaker, and there always seems to be some kind of health issue pop up regularly.

Though she is not well-off, she gets a decent income from DH's pension, SS, and 401K withdrawals so she can afford to pay that amount, but.....

I'm just curious if there are other resources out there where the insurance is less. $545 for a senior seems incredible high to me, but then it does cover EVERYTHING...including dental and eyes too. Maybe I'm off base and she's lucky to have great insurance for that kind of $, but she is not one to research such issues should there be other alternatives out there for her.

Other than looking at the .gov website, not sure where to start.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Comments (26)

Sponsored