SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scarlett2001

Got my 'pre lay -off' notice yesterday

scarlett2001
16 years ago

Well, I may be taking early retirement far sooner than I had planned to! Yesterday I got an official notice that the funds from which my job is paid are in danger of drying up and if so...the position will be abolished. Of course my boss gave me every assurance that she will do her best to keep me, etc. etc.

My husband was "retired" early several years ago because he had been with his company more than 20 years and had, over time, achieved a high salary. Then some bean counter realized that they could hire somebody right out of college to replace him at half his salary. I know several people who are experiencing that right now- they are just out in the street, too young to collect real retirement, too "old" to be competitive in the hiring market.

So what do you think I should do if and when the old ax falls?

Try to find a new job and defer retirement until I'm older? Open an e-business? I didn't sleep much last night. Finally got up and turned on TV - saw all these folks who say they are earning $30K a minute on EBay...little disclaimer down at the bottom of the screen saying "This is not typical"...Kind of like the diet ads.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs