Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ever add up. . .

Posted by Ginger_St_Thomas (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 02 at 7:35

Have you ever added up or figured out how much you save on a weekly basis using Senior Citizen/AARP discounts?

I've never paid attention to them because I don't qualify but what are some good deals you get by being "of a certain age?"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ever add up. . .

It really doesn't amount to much for us. Most of the fast food places give a Senior Citizen discount or a free drink with the order. Some Resturants have a senior discount or menu with smaller portions. AARP kicks in at an earlier age than the SC discount. You can't get both.

Both of my favorite supermarkets give a SC discount on Wednesday. I don't get it because I like to either get my groceries on Saturday or Monday. It varies from 2 to 5 % of the total purchase. They don't honor AARP at all. Some department stores have regular SC days, and I would save a bundle if I planned ahead and waited for them. But I don't.

All motels that we use give the same amount either for AARP or for SC. We had AARP for years and years but never came across anything that would give AARP a better deal than the regular Senior discount. I guess it would depend on how active the Senior Citizens group was in that area.

For the first few years, if we wanted the SC discount, we had to ask for it. Now the wrinkles and gray make the age statement for us.

We get extra homestead exemption on property taxes. It's a good one too!! That, and the extra exemption on both Federal and STate income tax, is the biggest goodie of them all. I don't think we would ever eat out enough for the resturant discounts to amount to much. The savings at the supermarket would add up to about 200 a year, IF I could wait and buy everything at once on Wednesday. Never gonna happen, not in this life!! LOL

o

We don't qualify for SC discounts yet. AARP, if I recall, membership is $10/yr. for the two of us. Last weekend we saved $16/day on hotel rooms. We also have AAA and were eligible for the same discount through them so it was an either/or situation. We do normally try to pick hotels/resorts/rental car agencies that partner with our airline so we get frequent flyer mileage also. If we use a specific credit card, we can get those miles doubled and sometimes tripled through airline and credit card specials.
I know this was a bit off topic but it just came to mind as something else to consider.

o

We got AARP 5 years ago. Hubby qualified, but didn't want to sign up. Then I told him we would save about $100 per year on our homeowners and auto insurance. All of a sudden he was happy to be "old".
Kathy G in MI

o

You get discounts on your internet account if you belong to aol and a few others.You also save money on your insurance if you have them take it out of your checking account.When I first joined aarp it was $2.00 now I pay $10.00 but I dont mined because I do feel they really have our interest at heart.I did not feel this way at first but after haveing two insurance go out of bussiness in my state I was glad aarp took me. To death do us part.(smile) Goldy

o

So happy to have read these posts today. We are leaving for Florida tomorrow for a little vacation and California next month. I forgot all about my husand's AARP discount. He usually forgets too.
We will be sure to take advantage of it now, for not only the hotel discounts but other things mentioned.
Good and ready for some rest and relaxation. Thanks.
Lu in LA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here