Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shared Interests

Posted by Cattknap (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 28, 02 at 6:40

We are not retired - 4 years to go, but I would like to pose a question to those of you that are retired: Do you and your spouse spend more time together now that you are retired, or do you find that you are involved more in separate interests (clubs, volunteerism, hobbies, etc.) that don't include your spouse? Do you ever get sick of each other?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shared Interests

Naturally, with him home all day, we spend more TIME together, however, I don't think that's what you meant. The only interest that we "shared" before retirement is no longer available to us. He has always done his thing, and I do mine.

He plays more golf than he did. I now have a computer and spend most of my free time on it. We do travel a little more, and we BOTH babysit the grandchildren when it's needed.

Do we get sick of each other???? Yes and No. Even before retirement, I could answer that one "Yes" There are some times that I don't want to schedule my day and there he is, and there is no way out of it. I am sure that he also wishes that I would just shut up and go away and leave him quietly alone.

"Togetherness" is a dream as far as I am concerned. If you try for it....whatever it is....I think you will be in for a disappointment. Whatever you enjoyed together before, you will enjoy doing together afterwards. It's hard, if not impossible to generate interest in something new just for the sake of "togetherness"

All in all, we happen to be compatable people. It makes for an easy life. If we had gotten on each other's nerves before, I think one of us would have killed the other by now. LOL. The secret, I think, is that we don't look for each other for amusement, and therefore, when it happens, we appreciate it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here