Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Article on co-housing

Posted by jkom51 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 5, 12 at 19:56

I know that this subject has been discussed a few times on this and other forums. It's rare to find an article on co-housing, and I ran across this in SmartMoney magazine's website. I thought some folks might find it interesting. It's very short, BTW:

Hippie Retirement: High-End 'Communes' in Co-housing
SmartMoney Feb 02, 2012

(Excerpt) "After spending nearly three decades in St. Louis, Kathyrn McKay says she was ready to relocate to a "more progressive" city. On a visit to Boulder, the then-57-year-old retiree found just that, though the living arrangement wasn't what she had expected: a so-called co-housing complex for adults called Silver Sage. "I loved the sense of community I felt there," she says.

Co-housing projects for older Americans, communities of homes on shared land that residents build and operate themselves, are on the rise. The first such development, Glacier Circle in Davis, Calif., opened in 2006. Since then, at least three more have been built ' including ElderSpirit in Abingdon, Virginia and ElderGrace in Santa Fe, N.M - and roughly another eight will be under construction by the end of this year, says Charles Durrett, a co-founder of co-housing development company McCamant & Durrett Architects and author of "Creating Cohousing: Building Sustainable Communities."

Here is a link that might be useful: SmartMoney: Hippie Retirement

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Article on co-housing

Can these hippies be replaced ...

... when they get to be a pain?

o j

o
RE: Article on co-housing

There are a number of advantages top sharing housing.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here