SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

Article on co-housing

jakkom
12 years ago

I know that this subject has been discussed a few times on this and other forums. It's rare to find an article on co-housing, and I ran across this in SmartMoney magazine's website. I thought some folks might find it interesting. It's very short, BTW:

Hippie Retirement: High-End 'Communes' in Co-housing

SmartMoney Feb 02, 2012

(Excerpt) "After spending nearly three decades in St. Louis, Kathyrn McKay says she was ready to relocate to a "more progressive" city. On a visit to Boulder, the then-57-year-old retiree found just that, though the living arrangement wasn't what she had expected: a so-called co-housing complex for adults called Silver Sage. "I loved the sense of community I felt there," she says.

Co-housing projects for older Americans, communities of homes on shared land that residents build and operate themselves, are on the rise. The first such development, Glacier Circle in Davis, Calif., opened in 2006. Since then, at least three more have been built ' including ElderSpirit in Abingdon, Virginia and ElderGrace in Santa Fe, N.M - and roughly another eight will be under construction by the end of this year, says Charles Durrett, a co-founder of co-housing development company McCamant & Durrett Architects and author of "Creating Cohousing: Building Sustainable Communities."

Here is a link that might be useful: SmartMoney: Hippie Retirement

Comments (2)

Sponsored