Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lake Seminole in Georgia

Posted by gram3167 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 02 at 19:48

Our count down will start in April. 1 year to go. We have visited this area and liked it. Anyone out there living
in this area during the winter for retirement? Thanks for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lake Seminole in Georgia

I'm fairly familiar with the area since my hometown is about an hour away. We used to fish Lake Seminole quite a bit too. It's awfully secluded feeling in the winter time and fairly deserted. I would be concerned about convenience in finding needed items and medical care. Have you spent much time in the area? Do you have family or friends there?

o

What part of GA is that in? I have visited (only on vacation) in the North East corner of GA. My sis has a cabin in the foothills of the Blue Ridge.
Hayjud

o

Hayjud, it's in the lower southwestern corner of Georgia, bordering Florida. It's off 84E between Donaldsonville and Bainbridge. Lake Seminole is very large, flows from the Chattahoochee River. It is absolutely LOADED with huge alligators. You have to take great care in traveling a majority of the waters in Lake Seminole (easy to get lost and a map is recommended), there's a lot of stick ups, stumps and trees barely below the water. The Chattahoochee River has a lot of barge traffic and it's not unusual for the water table in the adjacents lakes to be very low during the summer. There's area pockets that has a high population of weekender cabins, mobile homes and some full time residents.

I don't recall if you're interested in true crime stories but in the late 1970's there was a horrible crime near the area. There was a couple of books written and a tv movie. The murderers were finally caught in Va. or W. Va. as I recall. They tortured and murdered 5 family members of the Alday family.

Well....I guess all that's a little bit more information than you asked for...LOL

o

I would be scared to death to live anywhere that alligaters live!
Hayjud

o

I always visualized alligators as slow moving creatures, dragging themselves up on the river bank. Shortly before I moved here, I saw a show on Boston TV that showed an alligator up on all fours running at 35 mph after someone. It was in Florida, and I moved here anyhow. BTW, I am totally incapable of running at 35mph, so I'd be lunch.

Elaine in Florida

o

What has drawn you to this area?
Just curious, lucy

o

Elaine,

Maybe daily jogging might get you prepared?

Or - how about wearing a disgusting perfume that'll turn the 'gators off?

We'd hate to lose you.

joyful guy/Ed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here