Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is a SAHW retired?

Posted by angelcub (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 06 at 19:15

Hi all! I'm a SAHW (stay at home wife) - have not worked outside the home for at least five years, other than teaching occasional quilting classes. I didn't "retire" in the traditional sense from my last job, just stopped working. I don't plan on returning to the work force, but if something interesting came along I might. I don't have a pension - just a loving DH with a very good and secure job. He will probably retire in 6-7 years, maybe sooner if offered early retirement.

It seems SAHW/Ms aren't often included in retirement dialogue. This is not a critique - just an observation. I do the majority of the housework, laundry, cooking, bookkeeping/money management, gardening, vacation planning, holiday planning/cooking/shopping, relative management (ha!), and shopping in general (not complaining about that!). So, am I retired? If not, when would you consider me retired?

Diana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is a SAHW retired?

If you husband hires a maid then you will be semi-retired but you'll never be completely retired until you kick over. Neither will I.

o

Sorry but a SAHW can't retire... If they did who would do all the housework, laundry, cooking, bookkeeping/money management, gardening, vacation planning, holiday planning/cooking/shopping, relative management, shopping in general and everything else...

Rita

o

LOL! The maid probably won't materialize, so my DH will have to do. He does look cute in an apron. ; )

While I do most of the above mentioned work, I should add that my DH is always willing to help. It's just he's gone from about 6 am to 6 pm, 5 days a week, so I "just do it." I'm a morning person and am usually done with whatever "housework" I have scheduled for that day by noon. It's just the two of us, so things don't get very messy.

I often feel retired. My days are my own to do with as I please. I have certain days I do certain work, but I rarely feel I must get something done. So maybe I'm semi-retired. I think about DH's retirement a lot. I am really looking forward to the day when he does. I've even been checking into places to retire to if we relocate. Well, someone has to do it! : )

Thanks for your input!
Diana

o

Sometimes during my 20 years as a personal financial advisor I had seminars dealing with retirement.

One day, having endured the retirement party, plus all the good-byes, Tom took his tools, pictures, supplies, etc. home with him from his last day of work.

Next morning, after having enjoyed the luxury of sleeping in, he sat in his favourite chair, reading the paper.

After a few minutes, he lowered it, looked around, then picked it up and read some more.

Soon he put it down again, looked around ... and contemplated a bit.

After half a dozen episodes like this, Susie asked, "Something wrong, Tom"?

Tom asked, "Where's breakfast?"

To which Susie asked in reply, "You retired yesterday, didn't you?"

"Yeah, sure - you know that. What's that got to do with anything"? asked Tom, a bit abruptly.

"So did I", replied Susie, sweetly.

Then she continued, "I'll tell you what - I'll get breakfast, now. And then we'll sit down and discuss who's going to do what, around here".

We don't have a report of Tom's reply to this "suggestion".

Funny - this story seems quite a bit more popular with females than with males.

Have a great weekend - Oh, I forgot: when you're retired ... **every day is weekend**!!

ole joyful

o

Cute joke Joyful Guy but I have a feeling I know what Tom's reply was.... LOL

As for me... Well, early in our marriage hubby decided to fix breakfast one weekend... He made 'scrambled' eggs... We were low on milk so he used Vernor's ginger ale... Then to make it more substantial he added sauerkraut... I ended up banning him from my kitchen.

Then last Wednesday he was upset because his favorite shirt wasn't washed so he took it upon himself to 'do the laundry'.... On Thursday I had to go out and buy a new washing machine...

Never in my wildest dreams did I think that after 'retiring' from the phone company that I'd be a SAHW who could NEVER retire...

Oh well, such is life.... In my next life I'm coming back as a man... LOL

Rita

o

Rita,

I'll bet!

o j

o

Rita,

No reply?

I'm disappointed in you!

o j

o

Rita, you've been had by a master manipulator. Thanks for the laugh. I wonder what would have happened if you had eaten all your eggs and asked for more. My husband's first attempts at cooking were really awful, but I kept praising him and he got better. He will never be good, but when I am tired, "good enough" is good enough.

o

Well Joyful Guy they say a leopard can't change his spots... LOL

Actually I think I was a man in a previous life and now I'm paying for it, big time... LOL

Rita

o

Rita,

I don't have a thing to say ...

... who am I to question your judgement?

o j

o

LOL

Why not? Everyone else does... LOL

Rita

o

Rita,

Before you start out on the daily round, look yourself in the bathroom mirror, grin, and say, "I ain't stupid!".

Probably no one else will offer you such authentication.

Have a great week.

ole joyful

o

Rita,

If a leopard doesn't pursue - change his/her "spot"s ...

... s/he doesn't eat!

They can't just sit there, open their mouths and have prey walk in.

But some retired men seem to think that such should be their lot - more or less.

Right?

o j

o

Rita,

... where are you?

o j

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here