Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any US'ers retire to Canada?

Posted by marys1000 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 08 at 15:51

Anyone done this? What are the requirements/issues? Or perhaps have second home there?
I understand that currently with the dollar low this is probably not financially attractive right now, but I'm still curious.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any US'ers retire to Canada?

I think it would depend on where. Prices are higher, and so are taxes. Weather, again depends on area. Check to see if they will accept your insurance, they will not accept medicare. Lots of things to do, great people. You have to have a passport to go back and forth, new requirement 1/1/08 and proof of identity. If people want to visit with children, again new rules. I would visit/rent first. Hard to get anything but routine medical because of the way their system is set up.
We get lots of Canadians shopping here.

o

I visited Vancouver and fell in love with the place, but alas, the medium price range for a condo or home is $350,000. I would become a pauper If I lived there.

o

The major problem with Vancouver is that there's a big sea on one side.

And some big mountains on the other.

With not much land in between.

And laying water and sewer pipes through the rock of the mountains is a pretty big task.

The other side of the equation is that a great many people want to live there.

But there are other cities in B.C. And a big island, not far off of the coast.

Though the U.S. Dollar doesn't go as far as it used to ... Canada's still a pretty good place to live.

When you've been here 3 mos.? 6 mos.? you can get a provincial health card, I think ... meaning that a high percentage of medical service costs come without fee.

In Ontario, they recently retreaded an income tax surcharge of, for me, somthing like $475. per year, last year, I think, sliding scale depending on net income, to help pay medical fees.

I pay it gladly - though I hardly ever see a doc. ... and haven't spent time in hosp. since 1952.

Good wishes for enjoying life where you are - and learning more about it as time goes along.

When we get to heaven ... do we know everything? Wait a minute ... wouldn't that make us equal with God? I think I smell a bit of Genesis 3, here. Garden of Eden, anyone? Sure would detract from one's enjoyment of life if there aren't any apples in heaven!

ole joyful

o

I've been traveling quite a bit and have liked two places that I would like to move to or rent a place for a few months. Vancouver was one and the other was Taos, New Mexico.

o

late to this discussion,but our plan is to move to the canadian maritimes. since we long for a few acres near the beach,where we can raise some chickens and ride the ponies without worries of traffic, this seems to be where we could afford a decent size farmette near salt wtaer. it helps that we prefer cold weather!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here