Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Health Care Insuarance

Posted by kkny (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 08 at 10:30

My 88 mom may come live with me. I live in Westchester County New York. Does anyone have supplemental insurance they recommend?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Health Care Insuarance

Contact Blue Cross, expensive but better than most. AARP has some. May depend on her health. If you have a Dr./medical center, talk to the billing dept also.

o

Mother so far in excellent health. But I dont know how much longer that go on. She is not on any medication. She did have a hip replacement 3 years ago, and will likely need catarat this year.

o

kkny,

Is that a cat ... or a rat? That Mom may need this year.

Oh ... she has a cataract ... and wants to get over it?

ole joyful

o

funny, I can see you have your eye on this forum.

also, this is a question which anyone can see I am truly ignorant, how do you decide which of the A through I policies you need. Mom basically in good health.

o

My husband is on occupational disablility from the railroad. We don't have any health insurance right now. My sister heard of this company but I don't know anything about it. I'm worried about falling for a dishonest group. Have any of you heard of this? Health Benefits Direct. Sounds like they're sort of along the lines of Progressive auto insurance and they say they handle everything over the phone. If there some place I go to check into it? thanks, Mlou

o

I haven't heard of the company you mentioned.

We're self-employed and carry our insurance through Assurant Health. You can go to the link below for an online quote. We carry a high deductible to keep premiums low so haven't ever had a claim; however with our policy if we go to an approved provider (physician or hospital) on their list we get a good-size discount from the initial billed cost. There are many providers on the plan; however it might depend on the plan a person selects. They are also very good about their communication/ reports and being able to talk to a person on the phone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Assurant health

o

Health Benefits Direct is an insurance brokerage company - they represent many health insurance companies.

o

I have AARP supplementary. Works for me!

o

My Mom and I have BC&BS, we pay nothing except the premiums. My Sis didn't want to pay what BC&BS found a cheaper alternative, but she is always having problems with medical bills and her company moved on and she had to find another company. I am 71 and pay $133 a month.

o

"We're self-employed and carry our insurance through Assurant Health"

I did some background checking into the parent company. I didnt like what I saw. Penalties assessed, name change, complaint index and complaint ratio all made me nervous about this insurer.

o

I received an "invitation" to enroll in UnitedHealth Allies - supposedly a medical discount company. There is a $13.00 monthly feed.

I have only Secure Horizons, but some medical problems seem to be looming in the near future - dizziness - hearing loss - bone density studies (bad back) - MRI (head) and hearing aids.

AARP supplemental sounds interesting - but cost wise, will it be a financial problem - my retirement income isn't too great and providing support for others as well.

What hearing aids are recommended - (lots of loss due to noise abuse in my job over the years). I've heard folks say sometimes that they aren't too effective, perhaps there are some, however, that work better than others for this type of loss.

Any help appreciated.

Confused.

Bejay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here