Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Independent senior living in Indiana/Kentucky

Posted by RyseRyse_2004 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 10:09

I don't know where to start a search. The internet is fine but everyone wants to call me etc. before they even give me an idea whether or not I can afford something. They don't list prices.

I want a single home with a yard and am thinking I would be better off just buying something outside of a retirement community since I have dogs and love to garden. I am in my 70's and totally healthy so have no need for health services. I'm choosing Indiana or Kentucky because property taxes are low. I am in NW IL and the taxes are killing me!

Does anyone have recommendations or can you point me to a helpful party?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Independent senior living in Indiana/Kentucky

I'd try to zero in on the area that you like and then call real estate agents there. Find one that you get along with before you go off with any of them. Then you can ask questions. If you garden and have dogs, a planned community might not be your cup of tea, especially if there are rules about number and size of dogs. (We also have multiple dogs.)

You can get a lot of great info by using Realtor.com (actual RE listings, and not Zillow) and plugging in the desired zip codes.

And check out the Buying/Selling home forum, too. Nice people there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buying and selling homes forum

o

If you like to garden and have dogs I would not move into a development with covenants and good luck finding one without. I can't even take out a bush without permission. The retirement places don't advertise their prices because they are outrageously high. They want you to see it and fall in love with it, then you get the bad news. LOL Also make sure you have room in your budget for raises in those prices later.

o

I agree with looking outside of a retirement community or a housing development with covenants. We have a dog - the lord and master of the household. We should really be living in a condo based on how useless the two of us are with home repairs etc. - but we have a dog (used to have multiple pets) so not a chance were we about to find ourselves in a condo or a development where we would either have to give up our dog or move. And it has happened to a lot of people.

o

We have dogs all right - two large Labs. Also we have 7 outdoor cats (supposed to be but because of all the below zero weather this winter, they have been indoors in our guest house at night.

We have decided that a retirement community is out. We want warmer weather and lower taxes so are thinking of a situation much like we have now but in an area that is affordable. (We are in NW Illinois - Ill has one of the highest property tax rates.)

o

Oklahoma and Arkansas are low tax areas. Someone told me that you pay no property tax in Arkansas, I don't know for sure. I do know it is beautiful there, especially the Ft Smith area.

o

There are property taxes in Arkansas, but relatively low, and seniors have some protection from increases, I think. However, Emma is right there are some beautiful areas, including the Fort Smith area and all of NW Arkansas, and the cost of living is very reasonable. A little farther south, near Hot Springs, is also beautiful with lots of retirees. We have a few cold days in Arkansas in the teens or below, but not many, and not for extended periods of time. It does however get pretty hot in the summers.

o

MojoMom, I would love living in those areas, but want a new home with no covenants, but can't find one. I am a true nature lover and love to live in a place where I can see hills and trees. I would find a person I could trust and have my ashes scattered on top of a mountain. My area is flat as a pancake and have been here since 1950..................I have another eye surgery coming after that I am going house hunting AGAIN!

o

Here are listings for homes in Central Kentucky.

Here is a link that might be useful: lbar.com

o

Look into Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRC). I live in one in the Pacific Northwest. Your home can be tailored to your wants, you can have dogs, and you can garden. And altho you may be in good health & living independently now, this may not always be the case. That's when the continuing care comes into play. But look for one that is non-profit. I've attached a link so that you can get an idea of what they can be like.

Here is a link that might be useful: CCRC

o

I have found out more about covenants since I posted before. There are covenant homes and HOA homes like patio or garden homes. I have read two covenants in Arkansas, one was the same as city ordinances like mowing, no cars sitting on the streets without moving them ever so often, etc.. Another that I read you had to pay for the street paving or street lights if something happened to them. If I had know the differences, I would be living in Arkansas now. They are not all bad. Most of the builders in Arkansas put up privacy fences.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here