Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter Rental ?

Posted by grammahony (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 10, 07 at 22:18

I was just reading the post about vacation rentals. It mentioned web sites on advertising. I would like to be able to read some of these, as my Mom (81) wants to go to the Phoenix area for a month or 2 starting February 1st. I'm retired myself, so I'd drive us down. I just don't know how to go about shopping for a rental for a month or two.
Leslie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter Rental ?

I hope somebody answers this post because we have a cedar cottage on 58 acres we would love to rent for a week or month and don't know where to research this! We are in a very remote area (100 miles west of Chicago) and think it could appeal to a family or even a group of guys that would love to rent a place for a few days/week during hunting season.

o

I'd start with Craigslist for the areas you're interested in - these have lists for both the landlord and the renter. You can usually also find local newspapers online, and contact them to place ads for your rentals. Any area that is a heavy tourist area will have chat boards and Chamber of Commerce websites with links to real estate and rental agents. If you type in "Phoenix vacation rentals" in Google, you're sure to find a lot of results.

o

Greetings to those who would like to find a vacation rental, or rent their cottage/cabin/waterfront condo.

First, My experience: My husband and I started a cabin rental company in 2001 after we retired early and moved to the mountains from "da big city".

To find or rent a property in an area that might not be flush with this type of property, there is a website called
VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner.com) If you have a property and want to rent it out yourself, this is where you would advertise it. If this is the way you want to go, look at other vacation rental websites to see their rental agreements. Have a local person that youcan trust for cleaning and maintenance.

If your property is in an area with lots of vacation rentals then you may want to consider a property management company. They will do just about everything for you for a percentage of the rental fee.

If you are looking in a specific area for a vacation rental, contact the local chamber of commerce.

good luck, jerri

o

I agree with the writer who mentioned Craig's List. You can visit www.CraigsList.org and search under the Phoenix area. There is lots of information for you. If you like the mountains of the Carolinas, you can find more information about vacation rentals at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mountain Homes and Cabin Rentals

o

I would stay away from the Phoenix area.Prices are out of site with apts running about 1500 and above. Traffic is really bad. Very hard to get medical if needed.
I would try Yuma as there is less people and since there are so many seniors and so much to do it would be easier, but again apts are probably over 1000.
We have stayed there in the trailer and really like it. Medical is not bad.
Great flea market, and good shopping.
I won't even drive in the Phoenix area and I am Calif/Los Angeles freeway trained.
So much road rage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here