Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
subsidized housing

Posted by monica2001 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 6, 03 at 20:42

This is a word of encouragement for those of you who are of retirement age, but for some reason, life has not allowed you to save the necessary funds. You don't have to live with your children. Subsidized housing can be very nice. There are certain hints that I will pass on: Don't look for good housing in a large city. (crime, etc.) go to a smaller city. Check out the places that are funded by a religious group (Lutheran run are great) Some will allow you to have a pet or two and a garden if you want. Some provide trips to the local stores every week. All this for an amount set by your income. The big thing you must remember is to search; go to the library, use the internet, write to religious groups and ask questions. Don't give up and work until you die on the job.

I realize that most of you have saved retirment funds for many years to retire. But if you have not been able to do that there is still a nice retirement out there if you will search for it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: subsidized housing

Monica I think your mentioning that here is great because I have known a few people who lived in the units and they were very nice apartments and it provided a nice close knit group for the retirees. the only ones I have seen were in Texas but they were very nice....nothing fancy but nice.

o

I live in one and its the next thing to a good vacation.No problems and no worries.If for some reason you are takeing care of your grands they are allowed to stay with you.Its a law.I have my pet dog and a great parking space .A bus to pick up the ones who have no transportation.I love it.Some of the people here never had it so good.But they sit in the lobby and complain.The best thing is to find something to do in your life because you will become bored because everything is done for you except paying the rent.

o

Goldy,

My old Grandma, born in '62, came to help in our home after my Mom got sick in '35 and Grandpa died about the same time. We had hired help in the farm, with wife helping in our (large - 7 bedroom, but no running water in bathroom, no fridge, wood-fired kitchen range) home.

But when the War came in 1939, all of the hired men were gone to war. What Dad and his 10, 7 and 6 years olds were able to do, got done - the rest didn't.

Grandma had serious inward curvature of spine, which hampered her - but wasn't routinely painful.

She used to say,

"Some people would complain - if they were going to be hanged!"

joyful guy/Ed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here