Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with home sale proceeds?

Posted by tantadoodles (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 1, 06 at 20:40

This my first time posting to this forum.

My mother recently sold her home of 40 years and has moved to an assisted/independent living facility.

She will need all of these funds in order to finance the rest of her life which includes $3000+ rent, medication, etc.

The house she sold was in NY. Does anyone know about the tax liabilty, if any?

Any other info or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with home sale proceeds?

I don't know about your state, but in Kansas we don't pay taxes on home sales after we reach a certain age. It used to be that you would be tax free only one time, but my accountant told me you can do it more than once.

o

tantadoodles,

Does she/you have friends who have gone through a similar situation recently?

They could have some useful information for you.

Good wishes for a beautiful New Year - for your Mom and your family.

ole joyful

o

I assume that she was a widow and at some point her husband lived in and owned the house also and did not die during 2005. I also am assuming that the house was sold during 2005.

She can exclude up to $250,000 in profit on her Federal income tax return. The profit is the sales price minus the closing costs and her basis in the house. Her basis is a little complicated to calculate. Half of her basis is half of the cost of the house plus half the closing costs at purchase and half the costs of any major improvements such as additions or major remodeling projects. The other half of her basis is half what the house was worth the day her husband passed away.

All profits over and above the $250,000 are taxed as long term capital gains most likely at a rate of 15% on her Federal return.

I know very little about New York state tax returns, but New York and possibly the city she lived in might tax the proceeds from the sale of the house.

If that makes no sense to you, I'd be happy to create an example with numbers.

Good Luck

Joan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here