Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Confused

Posted by bob47 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 26, 06 at 19:17

Maybe someone could give me some advice regarding retirement. I am recently separated from my husband, (hence my user name). I am receiving financial support from him and will be entitled to a portion of his pension, and 401K when he retires. My concern though is that I have recently become involved with a man, who has been self employed, and does not have any savings or pension, etc. He was married for 20yrs. to a women who is alcoholic, and has lost basically everything. This man treats me much better than my husband did, and is incredibly kind and sensitive. I am terrified though at his financial situation especially when he is no longer able to work. I would feel very sad if I could no longer see him for this reason. Does anyone have any words of advice they could give me. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Confused

bob47,

I can understand your concern for his financial future.

His financial situation is his problem, isn't it, as long as you continue to be arm's length pals?

Should you begin to live together, various states, provinces, etc. have varying laws as to how much of his debts you'd be responsible for, or responsibility to support him.

In a number of areas, were you to live together for varying lengths of time, depending on the jurisdiction, you might be required to split your pensions with him, should you later split up.

Are there other financial concerns that you have relative to his situation?

So long as you are separated, prior to divorce, does your support from your previous spouse and sharing of his pensions become jeopardized should you become intimately involved with another person? Live together?

I'm pleased that you have found a companion with whom ou are pleased, and hope that things work out well for you both.

ole joyful

o

I think things would work out ok as long as he keeps his place of residence and you keep yours. After so many years most people don't change their ways of doing things.

o

I suspect the real concern here is not that you would somehow become responsible for him in some legal sense, but that as you grow closer it will become impossible for you to see him do without. That's a judgment call that only you can make.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here