Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for you Federal retirees

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 26, 09 at 9:54

Did you elect up front to have Federal tax withheld from your pension? If so, did it end up being enough when you go to file your tax return?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for you Federal retirees

I chose to have Federal income tax withheld from my pension, plus an extra $100.00 per month to cover the expected tax on certain investment income.

The amount withheld has been enough to cover the taxes owed. In fact, I could stop the extra withholding of $100 and still have enough.

o

IRS Publication 15 (Circular E) will show you how much will be withheld from your pay, based on pay amount and periodicity, as well as marital status and number of exemptions claimed. You can vary your number of exemptions somewhat, or have an additional amount withheld, in order to come closer to your actual tax obligation.
Retirees may need to consider the tax impact of IRA withdrawals and other income, as well as changes in deductions.
This holds for all retirees, not just federal.

Here is a link that might be useful: IRS Forms and Publications

o

We're both still working and trying to figure out things.

I did a draft 2008 tax return, assuming I wasn't working anymore, and reporting just my husband's federal pension and 20% withholding.

I was amazed at how large the refund would be. I'll have to check Circular E to see how much we actually need to withhold.

o

I've only been retired for four months, so I won't really know until we file our 2009 taxes if the withholding needs any adjustment. I'd rather owe or come close to breaking even than receive a refund. I have state withholding too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here