Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What did you do on the first day of retirement?

Posted by Janeway452 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 14, 11 at 0:58

I'm fast approaching my first day of retirement after 33 1/2 years as a police dispatcher. I've worked since I was 16 years old. I've been imagining my first day, waking up to the fact that this totally ends life as I've come to know it and arrival at an important crossroads in my life. The first day of the rest of my life. I'm wondering what I'll do and how it will feel on that first day. What did you feel and do on that first day?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What did you do on the first day of retirement?

I slept in and Hubby brought me coffee in bed. Then I sat on our patio and let some of the stress go. I retired Oct 1 so it was warm enough to sit and relax.

However then that evening I had an period of anxiety thinking should I have retired. Which I now understand is normal for many.

Good luck on your retiremtn.

o

Thanks! Even though I'm confident that I will be comfortable with my pension (and my house is paid off and I have no debt), and my health benefit is even better than I have now, I think I am feeling some anxiety. It's weird. This is going to be such a huge change. I'm now going to enter the "normal" world. Normal hours and no more of those adrenaline rushes (my job frequently boring, but just when you think you've seen it all, something new comes up). I feel like I'm about to jump off a cliff and I'm pretty confident my parachute will work, but I'm still a little uneasy. Anyway, I'm anxious to see just what happens on Feb 1. I'd love to hear some more of what people did that first day.

o

I retired at 55 from a job I loved and got within a week of graduating from college and stayed with for 32 years. With a pension, health benefits, being financially secure, etc., I walked out the door on my 55th. birthday and never looked back. It was exhilarating. I knew I made the right choice; never regretted retiring for an instant.

Think on my first day, I slept in a little then went to the bank and grocery store just to see what it was like running errands on a weekday rather than years of cramming everything in on a Saturday and Sunday.

After a short while, I fell into a sort of trap... don't have to do this because I've got all the time in the world to get it done. I think that's probably normal. But I got over that and fell into a routine where everything sort of got its proper attention.

Congratulations! Feb. 1 is just around the corner.

o

That is certainly encouraging. It's going to be an interesting ride as my life unfolds, especially those first days and months. A funny thing happened Sunday morning. My hairdresser does my hair when I get off work at 7:30 AM. Convenient for her and me. When it came time to set my next appointment I was really lost. I've been so used to setting appointments linked to work--either before or after, to save my off day/s. Settled on 9:00 AM. It made me realize that all errands will stand alone. Anyway, I know the first thing I'm going to do either when I get up or as soon as I get home--take down all the room darkening stuff from my windows. Let in the light!

o

After I slept in, I went to Costco and shopped in the middle of the day when it wasn't so crowded because other people were at work. It felt very luxurious!

o

the first thing I did after retiring is go up to the big mac bridge (mi u.p.) & take a cruise under the bridge to watch the fourth of july fireworks from the boat under the bridge. that was a very fun way to celebrate being retired. I retired on the last day of june last year, after 28 years of working at the same job. oct. 12, 1981- june 30, 2010.

o

I retired June 30, 2010, but because I taught, July 1 did not feel like retirement. I was not allowed per state retirement rules to enter any school in the state until Sept. 30, and by the end of August, I knew I was going to be sad, missing my friends and my job. We went to Lake Michigan for 2 weeks during that period when I would have started school, and it helped to be away then. We went to Savannah for the winter, something I could not ever have done while i worked. Slowly, I'm getting used to being retired, and I do like the freedom to set my own schedule. I loved my job, and many parts of me are sorry I am no longer working, but travel, seeing more of the grandkids and sleeping in are some of the perks of retirement.

o

Lots less stress as I retired early from the banking industry. Hard to work with supervisor did not miss her a bit. But DH was still working and was able to take several weeks off, so we traveled in RV all over US and Canada--really enjoyed it. After he retired continued to travel and then moved back to ND where he had serious health issues but with kids's help and small town life still able to do lots of local travel and get involved in (again) in activities.

o

I've enjoyed reading your comments. I'm retiring later this year and am wondering how I'll feel the first few weeks/months when I realize I'm not on vacation and don't have to work tomorrow, next week, next month after 30+ years of full-time work. My husband and I have many interests and hobbies, family and grandchildren, so I know I won't be bored. We're planning a short trip up the coast starting the afternoon of my last day at work, returning home a week or so later to Retirement. I think that will feel like a less sudden transition from full-time go, go, go to nothing.

o

I hear "aren't you bored since you retired" I told them I am busier than ever. I babysat for my little granddaughter who was born with hip displacement and had to wear a metal brace. It was so sad,but cute to see that young one be on floor and learned to crawl with that contraption on. I kept her busy. Later when both children were in school I volunteered @ library doing genealogy stuff. I also volunteered @ school my daughter taught in once a week. I learned a lot doing that. My friend volunteers at good will store,theres plenty to do if youre bored. Oh!yes I can now take trips without worrying if I have to work or not. Enjoy it.

o

I retired in 2005. My last day of work was a Friday, the boss let me go an hour early as a final gift. Went home and felt nothing different on Saturday morning. I still had to run errands, clean house, and do everything else as usual. I was the first of "my crowd" to retire, so I had to find activities to keep busy- adult ed classes, sewing, visits to parks and beaches. One thing that never changed is, I still get up early, always before 7 am, like when I was working. I go out for breakfast coffee at a diner that opens at 7, I tend to get all my errands and shopping and housework done before noon, so my afternoons are pretty much free. My husband is severly disabled with MS (multiple sclerosis) so he needs a caretaker and chauffeur and that takes up a lot of my time. And the best thing is, I worked for 31 years in a busy public-contact government office and there was always a problem scheduling vacations and getting off work the Friday after US Thanksgiving, around Christmas,etc. Now I never have to ask for time off and risk getting turned down. It's all good.

o

I eased off, was doing part-time security guard work and don't remember what I did on the first day fully free - 15 years ago.

Nothing earth-shaking, I guess.

ole joyful

o

We celebrated by replacing some of our electronics and appliances. Very boring to most, but made us happy.

o

I stepped on to my sail boat and headed for the Caribbean and never looked back that was 16 years ago

o

A few years before I retired, my husband was laid off, and after looking for a job for two years, realized that he was actually retired. Our income dropped dramatically, so I stopped buying clothes and made do with what I had, knowing that I would not need career clothes after I retired.

So the first day I was retired, I couldn't wait to clean out my closet and get rid of all the clothes that were outdated and/or in bad shape. It was so much fun!

o

Tomorrow at 11am is my last day at At&t, 31 years, It will really feel wierd. I have been there since I was 19 yrs old. I have an old photograph of my first day when my mom dropped me off. and will take another tomorrow when my mom picks me up.

It's her birthday besides. I do have a car its just im taking her out to lunch to celebrate.

I have been painting oil and acrylics since 2002, and now do ceramics and lampwork. it will feel nice to start a project and stay until its finished.

o

well im on week 4 of my retirement. Im slowly feeling happier, I actually did a project from start to finish.

I have been busier than ever. helping with my parents and cleaning 3 houses. and my projects. Im truly happy. my pension has yet arrived. but im spending 60-80 percent less now. we are eating at home 90 percent more. which is nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here