Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing Satellite Dish from Roof

Posted by huisman98 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 3, 06 at 23:39

I just moved into a house that has a satellite dish installed on the roof. I am using cable for my tv service so I plan on removing the satellite dish once I can find a ladder tall enough to get up on my roof. Has anybody removed one of these before? Are they simply bolted to the roof? Should I be prepared to just fill any holes in the roof with some kind of silicone or is there a better way to fill any holes in the roofing material left by the satellite.

Thanks for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing Satellite Dish from Roof

Mine is held on with 4 bolts that are screwed into the roof. I recently wanted it moved, but found that the plate that holds the dish to roof had been glued to the shingles too (the roofer did this when the roof was reshingled, not the original installer). So, in order to prevent tearing up the shingles, I had to put down a mounting new plate and leave the old plate up there.

If you can just remove the four bolts that hold the plate, then you should be able to just fill the holes with a good quality silicone. If it is glued to the shingles like mine is, then leave it up there and just detach the dish/stem. The mounting plate is not all that noticeable by itself.

o
RE: Removing Satellite Dish from Roof

THanks over_n_under! I was hoping it wouldn't be much more than that. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here