Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
basement stairs separating-help please

Posted by angie1010 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 4, 11 at 19:58

My basement stairs are separating. I think it's called spreading of stringer. My neighbor wants to take off one side, take out the the stair and the nails that connect to the sides and then use screws instead of nails to reconnect it to the side (not a wall). Is this the right way to do it or is there a better way to fix the spreading? thanks, Angie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: basement stairs separating-help please

My advice is to hire a competent carpenter and fix the stair before someone gets hurt.

o

Hi Angie1010,

I know it's not the answer that you want but I agree with Renovator8. You're going to have to hire a professional to fix this for you. Trust me, I had the same problem and tried to fix it with screws. Needless to say, the stairs gave out on me and I fell hard and got bruises several times.

It cost me about $100 per stair to fix but this was many years ago.

o

How old are the stairs? The first thing you should probably do is identify the cause of the failure.

o

A stringer is what supports the stairs. There are usually 2 attachment points.One is at the top and the other is at the bottom, check there first, the bottom could be rotted. Another problem could be how the stringer was constructed.Is it a 2 x 4 with pieces scabbed on (triangular pieces nailed to a 2x4) or is it a 2 x 10 cut properly. More info

o

There are a number of ways to construct stairs, and that likely to determine what needs to be done.

Are the treads bedded into the stringer in grooves (ofte3n then held with wedges, or are the stingers cut to profile on the top and the treads sitting on the 'steps' cut into the stringer?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here