Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cold Air Coming Through Stove Fan

Posted by naturalstuff (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 07 at 19:32

House is brand new. I just realized cold air is coming down the stove exhaust pipe and through the vent on top of the stove. It's enough to get your hands cold.

Before I bring it up to my contractor, what did he do wrong and what can I do to stop it but keep using the fan?

It's one of those modern vents on the roof not open tube.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cold Air Coming Through Stove Fan

Sounds like the damper is non existant or stuck open. the damper is a flap that closes when the fan is not running. Take out the grease screen and take a look up the pipe with a flashlight to see if it's there.

Here is a link that might be useful: back draft damper

o
RE: Cold Air Coming Through Stove Fan

There will always be a draft coming out of this area. You can reduce it, but it won't be eliminated.
The first thing you can do is make sure the vent piping is well insulated after it leaves the conditioned space. In a standard exhaust setup there are two dampers. One as it leaves the vent fan and one attached to the roof cap. Make sure they are both installed. You can hear the one over the stove close when the fan is turned off. The roof one will need to be inspected.
Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here