Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Proper window caulking

Posted by morwilwarin (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 17:53

I've been having water leaks around all 12 of my replacement windows for months now. Windows have been re-wrapped and caulked, siding checked, and still, they leak. Today, someone said to see if the jamb is caulked/sealed to the window sill. I never heard of this, and there's no information about it online. However. I looked and sure enough, not on the window jambs are sealed where they meet the sill. Can anyone confirm if this is an accurate assumption that they need to be sealed?

Just for some background info, the original owner did the windows himself before we bought the house a year ago. All of the caulking had since cracked/warped/came of, so we assumed the new leaks were because of the use of poor quaulity caulking. Now, thousands of $ later and we still can't figure out the leak!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Proper window caulking

Basically, seal the exterior perimeter of the replacement window, i.e where it meets the existing jambs or stops, etc. Also, make sure the weep holes (bottom of the window) are open (NOT caulked).

o

I'd suspect improper flashing. Caulk isn't the first line defense against water. Flashing is. A window that's properly flashed should be watertight even without caulk. Caulk is more for sealing against air penetration than water penetration.

o

Never caulk the side casings to the sill,it's the last place for the moisture to escape. Damming it up there is the primary cause of rotten sills and casings. Horizontal seams are never supposed to be caulked, if properly flashed or detailed to begin with they won't admit water. I agree completely with hollysprings that your problem elsewhere in the install.
Casey

o

That's a flashing issue, not a caulk issue.

o

Windows are sort of like skylites, and front loading washing machines. They are NOT water tight, they just shed the water correctly. You may actually be making the problem worse by improperly caulking, as it is probably not the answer. I agree with all previous posts relating to proper flashing. Anything else is a waste of $$.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here