Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimbhoot

Garbage Disposal Jam

kimbhoot
17 years ago

Hi,

I have this garbage disposal called "Bone Crusher" it's jammed, I can hear the humming but it won't move. I can't seem to find a slot underneath to use a hex wrench. tried from top to move it but looks like there is nothing that I can stick my broom into... a flat blade with 2 small metal pieces that spins. I dunno how it grinds the waste. but I would appreciate any help to unjam this unit.

thanks

Comments (39)

• User
    17 years ago

The tool to unjamb the unit is a hex wrench shaped like a stretched out Z. It fits in a hex shaped hole in the center of the bottom of the case. You can use a regular hex wrench/socket and a ratchet handle if you have the correct size.

• kimbhoot
    Original Author
    17 years ago

there is nothing at the center of the bottom, however there is a bolt at the bottom on the side. I kept thinking that was the hex wrench slot but none of the hex wrench fits there, finally realized that it was round at the center.

should I unscrew that? is there any other way to unjamb this guy?

thanks

• sdello
    17 years ago

If you found a hex slot at the bottom at the center then that is what handymac was referring to. It doesn't "unscrew" anything it turns the blade with the cutters at the bottom which is what you are trying to free up. So, yes, get the appropriate size wrench and try to turn that screw.

Alternately, you can use the broom handle against one of the small pieces that spin to try to turn the "flat blade".

Hope this helps.

• kimbhoot
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This unit I have doesn't have the opening for a hex wrench. I have to do it from top. but I can't seem to move the spinning parts. I'm planning to take it out and then unjam it.

• sdello
    17 years ago

Actually, it is probably more difficult with the unit removed because it's difficult to hold the unit while trying to free the rotating "plate" with the blades.

I assume that you tried with the broom handle in both directions.

What is the make and model number?

• kimbhoot
    Original Author
    17 years ago

the make is "BONE CRUSHER MODEL 750" I can't move the blade from top.

• sdello
    17 years ago

A search for the "bone crusher 750" indicates that it is a "Waste King" model now manufactured by Anaheim Mfg.

the only manual I found on thier site describes using the "broom handle" technique for freeing up stuck blades (see link). I don't know what else to suggest, other than either removing it and taking it somewhere, or calling a srvice technician. Any idea what may have gotten in there?

good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: waste king disposal

• kudzu9
    17 years ago

The last time I had a jam, it was because my wife washed vegetables from the garden and some grit got under the blades. It caused just enough resistance that the motor couldn't overcome it and would just make a groaning noise. When I looked down at it from the drainhole in the sink, there was a hex nut at the top of the the mechanism. I put a socket wrench on it and turned it clockwise half a turn, which caused the blades to rotate free of the grit. After removing the socket wrench, I turned the disposal on and it was fixed....

• kimbhoot
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks to both sdello and kudzu9. I will try both methods and will post the result soon.

Thanks again.

• kudzu9
    17 years ago

kimbhoot-
    If what's troubling your disposal is something like what I ran into, and you don't see a hex nut, you may also be able to rotate the blades by grabbing the shaft with a pair of pliers and turning; it might not take a lot of force to succeed. Good luck.

• americanwit
    17 years ago

he most common plumbing problem that I get calls for is often the most simple. Someone's garbage disposal has jammed up, and they don't know how to fix it. But this is extremely simple, and will save you a lot of money if you can fix it yourself.

First thing you want to notice is if you turn the switch on, if you hear any noise at all. If you hear humming, but not turning, then you need to use your little wrench to go right up under the center of the garbage disposal and turn this a few times this way to loosen up whatever has jammed the garbage disposal unit on the inside. These come with every garbage disposal unit. If you don't have one, you can pick one up at the home center and it's for a couple of bucks and it will save you a lot of money. But you want to make sure that you have the switch off when you do all this because you don't want to dislodge it and have it suddenly start turning.

So once you've done that and you've loosened up some, turn the switch. If it still doesn't work- if you don't hear any humming at all, then you probably need to hit the reset button, which on every garbage disposal is at the very center. It's a very small red button. All you need to do is press it and that will reset the unit so that it will work.

Most often what has gotten lodged in the garbage disposal is a lot of starchy material like rice- you don't want to put a whole pot of rice down the garbage disposal. Also, anything really hard like broccoli stems or celery- the strings in the celery will tie up the unit and you don't want that.

You may want to remove the color around the opening around the opening of the drain, and reach in there with the power off and have to remove some of the material because the garbage disposal is simply not equipped to handle a large amount of starchy material.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garbage disposal repair

• kimbhoot
    Original Author
    17 years ago

americanwit and all other who tried to help.. I don't have a slot where a hex wrench will go at the bottom.. I do hear the humming noise. and no matter how hard I tried the blade just won't move :(

anything else I can try? I'm considering replacing the unit.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• sdello
    17 years ago

kimbhoot:
    Are you still wrestling with this? If you are still seized up, I'd recommend;

1) have someone else look at it that might be able to either detect why it's bound up or muscle it free. (i.e. call a service/reapir to come out and look at it).
    2) Pull the unit and tlke it to a repair shop so they can diagnose the problem.
    3) Replace it.

Sorry I don't see any other options.

good luck.

• rabi
    12 years ago

I have exactly the same situation as this original posting: humming sound on, no way to turn the grinding plate from bottom hex hole (no hex opening), and the broom rod/long screw driver fails to turn the plate from top. Any new experience to resolve this problem will be greatly appreciated. I would like to give the last try before calling a plumber to replace the garbage disposal? Thanks in advance.

• tmctec
    12 years ago

hello everyone:
    Not sure if this post is too old but I have the same exact problem with my garbage disposal. model: The Crusher Bone 750-1/2MP. I know there is nothing under to wrench it. in the past I had one where I was able to do that but this model CAN'T FIND THE WAY TO UN-JAMMED, yes when turned on I hear a humming sound. Any help will be much appreciated.
    Thank you.

• ThatGuy384
    9 years ago

So I just wrestled with this problem with the bone crusher 750. It was humming, clearly something jammed. It was rice, I knew it. Tried all the suggestions on here. Finally I stuffed paper towels down and pulled them back up to dry it out as much as I could, then took my shop vac with narrow attachment and stuck it down there. After sucking everything out that I could, I flipped the switch and heard a little pop like it was snapping something in two, and I was back in business.

This unit is a major pain to fix. Just wanted to share my solution for others' benefit.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Interesting!

None list the mfg.of the disposal, however, there are several mfg. who have adopted "bone crusher" as a marketing device.

Only the mfg. with their models specifications in a PDF format allow the consumer to explore other methods of resolving this problem, by displaying the mechanics of the device.

Saying the name of the mfg. as a courtesy, also limits the search for those assisting in solutions.

Tell the whole story, none of us are mind readers.

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

"Tell the whole story, none of us are mind readers."

Are you chiding the guy that posted almost eight years ago? 2006)

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Nope!
    Just those who have posted since as well as a general comment.

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

Oh, the guy that posted the paper towels and vacuum SOLUTION. lol

• kclark3132
    8 years ago

My doesn't have a reset button or anything to insert a wrench into that I can find. However I was able to un jam it (after I unplugged it) by using my fingers to clear out the small amount of debris then turn each of the two round gear thingies until they they would turn the bottom plate freely. It took less than five minutes and almost no force at all. I suspect it was one of the three tiny fish gravel rocks that escaped the strainer when the fish bowl was cleaned.

• kudzu9
    8 years ago

kclark-

Glad you got it cleared, but most disposals I've owned have a hole for a hex wrench on the bottom side of the diposal in the center. Did you look on the underside, maybe with a mirror to examine it?

• Linda Ratcliffe
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am having the same problem with the 750. The red reset button is stuck in the depressed position, and there's no place to wiggle an allen wrench to try to get things going. Any suggestions welcome. My InSinkerator at my last house seemed a lot more user-friendly.

• Linda Ratcliffe
    8 years ago

Update: went down the suggestions on this list and ended up fixing it with the paper towel guy's method. I unplugged and manually turned the little blades until it popped back into business. thanks everyone!

• jennifer_morrell90
    8 years ago

I have the exact same issue. Bone Crusher Sink Master disposal. I spaced out and hit the on button without water running. Now it hums but no grinding. Read a repair DIY that says to unplug electrical and don't have an outlet under the sink - wires go into wall. Tomorrow I'll clear out under sink and crawl in with with flashlight, buy hex wrench, try broom handle, etc. If that doesn't work, thoughts on whether it's cheaper to have it repaired, (although if everyone else gets it working themselves I should be able to), but when it goes for good, replace it or cheaper not to have one?

• kudzu9
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Don't get ahead of yourself on all the worst outcomes. The hum indicates it's getting power, but some physical obstruction is preventing it from spinning. Sometimes this can be something as small as a piece of grit not much bigger than a grain of sand. I'd go with the wrench, first, to see if it can be turned from the bottom side with the power off. If it's hardwired, it can be shut off at the panel. Try that; then report back, hopefully, on your success!

• jennifer_morrell90
    8 years ago

Fixed - Hex keys didn't fit but started messing around from top and bottom with broom handle and loosened something along the way and now it's working :) Thanks so much

• kudzu9
    8 years ago

Good...glad it's working.

FYI: hex key should work if you are using the correct system, i.e., metric with metric or SAE with U.S. Also, hex keys are better for not damaging the mechanism than a broom handle

• jennifer_morrell90
    8 years ago

I didn't have a hex key so my neighbor had 4 and none of those fit. Could certainly have been a metric mismatch or whatever. I was totally winging it. I was a little rough I guess but it's working. Thanks so much for your help. Appreciate it.

• kudzu9
    8 years ago

Ah, yes...the standard, incomplete kitchen drawer tool kit!. Hex key sets are cheap and very handy for a lot of home maintenance tasks besides stuck garbage disposals. Here is a pair of metric and SAE sets for under $10:

Hex key sets

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    8 years ago

Seen all of this before. I just take a stick, broom handle or plunger handle and stick it in, lever the plate until it spins and turn it on....problem solved.

• jennifer_morrell90
    8 years ago

That's what happened. Thank you.

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

If you're wrenching on one of these, from the top OR the bottom, remember to alternate in both directions. Like rocking your car when you get stuck in the snow.

Amazing that some of these bone-headed manufacturers would make a disposer without a hex socket on the bottom. Note to self, when shopping for a disposer, make sure it has one or don't buy it.

I don't use mine much - everything gets composted - problem solved. It's 25 yrs old and runs just fine, only driven on Sundays.

• Peggy Buchholz
    8 years ago

Our Sinkmaster 750 spins just fine, but does not drain out. We have tried moving the pipe that leads to the drain, and the water drains out just fine, but when it is hooked up, the water just backs up into the sink and slowly drains out-like an hour later.

• sdello
    8 years ago

sounds like you need to remove the diposal and look at the drain on the unit. Are you sure the cutter blades are rotating too or is the motor just spining and not turning anything iside the unit? Based on your description the blockage is in the unit. If you can't examine it in place, it's time to pull it out and take a closer look.

• Raymond Stewart
    5 years ago

Also have a Model 740. Manufactured in Anaheim CA. No hex head opening at the bottom. Very difficult to get a grip with a broom handle at the top, but there are a few pieces of hardware attached to the flywheel that are ‘grip able’.

I used a sink wrinch. First clock wise, then counter clock-wise. Didn’t move, but then I noticed the pattern of the blades on the flywheel suggested that counter clockwise was its natural rotation direction, so I gave it some muscle. It broke free. Water on, and gave it some power. Good as new. Here’s a picture of the tool I used in case your unfamiliar. It’s also good for faucet repair...

• alipainting
    3 years ago

I have a GE GFC305Y. There is no hex socket at the bottom. Just a compartment with wires. So no way to use the hex wrench that came with the disposal.

At the top, the rotators won't rotate because they are stuck against a hex nut. Very wierd.

Any ideas ? 🤔. I've tried resetting, changing the fuse etc.

• kudzu9
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

1. it’s not stuck against a hex nut: that’s just what the blade mechanism looks like.

2. If it came with a hex wrench to deal with jamming, there’s a way to use it: have you checked the manual or with GE Customer service?

3. Have you tried using the end of a broomstick to rotate the blades? (With the power off, of course.)

I also think that the wires attached in that way do not look normal. Is this the way it was when it was newly installed?