Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Genie Model 404 GDO - little help?

Posted by JoeNM (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 17, 05 at 17:10

Folks, I've got a screw-drive garage door opener of late '70s vintage that I'm hoping I can make right. Several days ago it began to labor upon raising the door. I put some grease along the length of the screw shaft and on the door rollers (usually do this once/year anyway). A day later, it quit lifting the door at all. Springs appear fine, and I can raise and lower the door w/o too much effort. I released the catch on the trolley but even with no load, I can observe with the cover off that when activated, the shaft will turn 1.25 turns before halting and reversing for 0.75 turns, and then stop. Took the cover off but did not see anything obvious. Realizing the GDO is quite old, I picked a a new one at Sears this week since they were on sale. But it's still in the box, and I'd like to fix the old Genie if possible. I don't have the manual, and I can't see any cogs or adjusters that I could mess with. Any leads on what I might try? I'd be grateful for any assistance. Thanks,
- Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Genie Model 404 GDO - little help?

Hello,
Try tightening the clutch. Check the 2 limit switches at each end of the drive. It could be that you are past the switch, because the door is to high.

o
RE: Genie Model 404 GDO - little help?

Thanks for the reply, Bob, but still no luck. I tried tightening the clutch spring 3 full turns, but it made no difference. I also loosened it completely to see what would happen. The clutch (but not the shaft) spins and then reverses for the same time duration as before. This unit just has the one limit switch along the screw drive shaft just a few inches away from the motor, but it is not activated, and the trolley is down at the other end. Anything else I might try?
- Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here