Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

Would you get upset about neighbor asking to use yard tools?

tlbean2004
9 years ago

If you got new yard things like lawn mower and expensive leaf blower and such, would you get mad about a neighbor that you dont associate with always asking to use the equipment?

Comments (20)

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

Can they pay to replace it when they break it?? Do they bring it back, put it away?? I wouldn't get into that habit of lending it out.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

Yes, I would b extremely upset and I'd say NO. Has always been my policy to neither borrow nor lend tools. Recently I made an exception and lent a pole tree trimmer to a favorite neighbor. I did it b/c it wasn't expensive and I really really thought there would be no problems. Roll forward 3 months ( yes, I had to go ask for it back) only to find out it was broken. The husband apologized and gave us an old, dirty rope so we could repair our pole trimmer. He said "I know M is handy so he should have no trouble repairing it. I was truly speechless and walked away with broken trimmer. The matter was dead.

About a week later same guy had the audacity to ask to use my zero turn mower. I quickly said it was broken, knowing that he SAW us using it the day before and he could see it parked in its usual place. I'm presuming he figured I was lying and hoping it serves as a hint that he is never going to use any of my tools, ever!!!!!

• klem1
    9 years ago

If the person asking was just starting out as a new homeowner,was recently divorced or some other reason they don't own tools I would likly lend what they need,ONCE.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I'd be happy I had a neighbor interested in using the tools.

• ionized_gw
    9 years ago

Maybe they are trying to make friends on the pretext of borrowing tools.

• User
    9 years ago

Depends on the neighbor. The neighbors I have would ask if I would do the work and offer to pay me. One does borrow a ladder now and then, but I also borrow items from him. He is also a mechanic of sorts, so understands the tools.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

In some religions it is taught that if someone asks you to go one mile with them, you should go two miles. Fortunately those quaint notions are not practiced any more, and have been relegated to the dung heap of history joining the golden rule and the beatitudes.
    Casey

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

One possibility is to operate your own equipment and do the job for the neighbor if your time permits. The day may come when you need an extra pair of hands for a little while.
    Sometimes this approach has paid off handsomely for me. A former neighbor even brought his truck to supplement mine and the two of us moved my household goods to my new house a few miles away. Or maybe he was anxious to see me out of the neighborhood!

• renais1
    9 years ago

I would offer to bring the tools over to the neighbor's and to do the work they needed as your time and interest permits. I agree with bus_driver above that this is a wise way to improve neighborhood relations, get to know your neighbor better, and do a good deed. So many neighborhoods today have people living next to each other without really knowing each other. A neighbor in the past used to come to our yard and mow when they were out mowing. What a treat you could provide by taking a day to help someone mow, move leaves, etc.. What a great way to make a personal connection.
    Renais

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

If it's .....- the answer is ......

Requests to borrow different small things, once in awhile but not reqularly - ok

Regular requests for small things - No, let them buy what they need, just as I did.

An occasional request to borrow something large or expensive - no. Not even once. All tools and equipment can be easily rented in my area, or if something like a mower is needed, services can be hired. The neighbor's need isn't my problem.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

tlbean2004 - your questions here on the Garden Web seem to have mixed up information and so I am suspicious. Each of your posts asks about 'someone' being mad about something.

You asked - "If you got new yard things like lawn mower and expensive leaf blower and such, would you get mad about a neighbor that you dont associate with always asking to use the equipment?"

For me the answer is no. But I don't want to be liable for anything that might go wrong and can't afford to replace "new yard things". And I know all my neighbors, and we see after each other without borrowing / loaning stuff.

The thing that really causes me to wonder about your mixed up inquiries is stuff like "new yard things" and then "always asking to use" Um....what? Did they "always ask" to use your old stuff, too? What did you say then?? Does it make you mad???

• sdello
    9 years ago

Don't mind lending a neighbor a tool or some time to help him/her out of a jam.

Something like a lawn mower....The grass should always grow. Therefore it needs to be cut. Each homeowner is responsible for his own lawn. The neighbor eithers needs to hire a landscaper or get his own lawn mower. Using mine one time because his broke or some other extenuating circumstance would be ok, but not on a regular basis because he's too cheap to get his own.

Extrapolate that example to any other tool, that's when I'd say no.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

We lend our yard tools regularly to both neighbours ... but they're not expensive tools. On one side it's a grumpy older person who doesn't like us, I'm hoping lending her our lawn mower will make her less grumpy (we also snowblow her driveway in winter). My husband did mow her lawn as well once or twice but it's a bit of a time commitment.

On the other side we have a lovely guy who borrows our hedge trimmer but also trims OUR hedge that grows onto HIS property - so he can borrow it all he wants! * Note he also has extensive hedges of his own, and he likes the privacy of tall hedges so he doesn't want us to cut ours down.

We live in the city and our neighbours are physically quite close.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Dec 8, 14 at 10:00

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Some of my neighbors and I borrow tools from each other. We are like minded about this so it causes no issues -- if one of us happens to have a rarely used something (I have an extension ladder and a hedge trimmer for example, someone else has a powered edger) we have lent to each other on those things without problem. And, on some occasions, when the mower won't start or time is too short or an injury prevents raking, a mower or leaf blower might be borrowed. But none of us would abuse the privilege by relying on borrowing regularly needed tools or equipment instead of buying or renting. Nor would any of us (I feel sure) fail to repair or replace something broken by error or carelessness.

Some others of the neighbors are not of the same mindset, either I wouldn't trust them already or they are noticeably "mine and mine alone" about other things.

Anyone that I lend to the first time, I am not shy to show them how it works, what NOT to do, and to say when I expect it back and that if they break it they must repair or replace it. That can come off as if I am expecting them to behave like freeloading jerks, so I do say it with a smile.

• GregNow
    9 years ago

Since you already indicated that you do not associate nor have plans to do so with this neighbor then no. I'd say no the first time and if he keeps bugging me then I'd be extremely pissed. I rarely let anyone borrow any of my expensive tools unless I truly trust and know that they will take care of it and are responsible enough to handle it. I have neighbors like yours. They are a pain in the butt.

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

I don't lend tools unless I'm confident of the competence and reliability of the borrower-- that said I still relent and let my kids borrow tools ;-) Generally if a neighbor asks I offer to bring the tool over and do whatever needs to be done. It generally doesn't take long, avoids all the issues of loaning tools, and helps build a community where people help each other out. I've also scored a couple pretty good plates of brownies and such in return-- it's known that baked goods will get you almost anything!

I can't ever remember a neighbor having a tool I needed and didn't already have, but that's a story of another sort of addiction.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i am a stay at home dad ...

ask me to pick up or drop off your kid ... when you have a problem ... there is no problem ... you will owe me.. if i am ever in the same spot ... needing a favor ... you can return the favor ....

if you ask me once.. and then expect me to ferry your kids all over town ... have a good day ... it wont be me ...

if someone saw my tool .. lol .. and asked about it.. i would show it to him ... show him how to use it... and let him use it under supervision ... and then discuss how he can go buy his own ...

think about your tool.. having a limited life.. say.. 100 hours of working use ... your cost is based on said usage ... if you are letting neighbor use half its useful life... well... i dont understand that ..

give him a $25 lowes card for xmas.. and tell him to use it on buying his own tool collection ...

ken

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

sassafras: a quick search of the forums for all posts by the O.P. shows that he/she is 28 years old and seemingly a bit inexperienced in the ways of the world, judging by their other posts. So I guess this one really isn't out of the ordinary for him/her.

I don't think he/she is a troll, but simply a young person trying to gather information. And I really can't fault him/her for that.

• Donald
    6 years ago
    I don’t let other people control my emotions.