Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fix/Replace Window Crank Mechanism on Casement Window?

Posted by JandT (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 21, 05 at 16:06

hi folks,

Any idea if it's possible to replace or fix the crank mechanism on a window? Right now, we have one that has a stripped gear inside, so you turn the crank and nothing happens. I've snooped around home depot with no luck finding anything appropriate to ues to fix it. Any suggestions? We've also spoken to window companies but they don't seem inclined to replace/repair those mechanisms (they just want to install new windows, which I can't blame them for).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fix/Replace Window Crank Mechanism on Casement Window?

Who made the window? Is it a andersen or pella? If it is contact the local dealer for the windo they will sell you the hardware. If you cant find it there check the link below for blaine window hardware. They may have what you need. They have more in the catalog than on the web site. Also if i remember correctly they can finf=d what you need if you call them

Here is a link that might be useful: Blaine window hardware

o

Great, thanks!

o

I think these are some very old windows (house = 1987). The only words I can find are "Duraseal" and "Truth" (on the mechanism).

o

Soooo. Turns out "Truth" is a brand, and I found a local distributor :) Cool!

o

This answered my question as well. I've been searching for these mechanisms on and off for a few years. One by one, each one has failed. What a relief to finally have a way to fix them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here